La Pavoni Pub startup problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ssizen

#1: Post by ssizen »

Hi all
New here to this great forum, just getting into the world of real coffee, had a Nespresso machine before but now have a La Pavoni Pub single group with grinder that I have fitted into our new kitchen so the world of decent espresso is finally here :D
BUT have a problem, the machine worked fine the first time I fired it up, now when I power on, the machine starts to try to dispense a coffee without any button being pressed, nothing actually comes out, no pressure build up I guess, any ideas?
1) The buttons do not seem to be stuck
2) If I disconnect the button panel this still happens
Cheers
Shaun

allon

#2: Post by allon »

If you mean that the pump runs, it could be trying to fill the boiler. Most espresso machines with a pump will use that pump to force water into the (pressurized) boiler when it needs to be filled. This is useful for running the machine off of a tank (no water pressure) instead of a plumbed in setup (where water pressure > boiler pressure).

I would check the autofill probe to be sure it is properly connected. If the boiler doesn't get the message that there is enough water, it will continuously call for more, overfilling the boiler. This can also happen if the probe is scaled up (this usually takes a long time of use) or if you use distilled water, which doesn't allow electric current to flow, and can't be sensed by most autofill setups (float-based systems will work).

Another failure mode is the solenoid that opens the path to fill the boiler sticking closed. In this case, the autofill calls for more water, opens the solenoid and activates the pump, but because the solenoid fails to operate properly, the water doesn't make it to the boiler; the pump runs until the probe indicates the boiler is filled, which won't happen without water entering the boiler.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem.
LMWDP #331

ssizen (original poster)

#3: Post by ssizen (original poster) »

Thanks, it was as you thought a stuck solenoind valve, it's been sitting for an age so once I get crsacking I am sure it will remain freed off, a small tap sorted it this time, your help was much appreciated, now I can get down to some serious coffee making
Cheers
shaun