Plumbed Izzo Alex Duetto leaks

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Viernes

#1: Post by Viernes »

Hi there,

I'm trying to plumb my Duetto but it leaks by the "rounded" fitting (I don't know the technical name). I tried to tighten it more, but stills leaks. Supposedly this fittings does not need teflon tape or o-rings?

Thanks.

walshman

#2: Post by walshman »

There should be inside the hex nut a rubber washer. Perhaps it's missing?

Viernes (original poster)

#3: Post by Viernes (original poster) »

Really? There's no rubber washer here. :(

walshman

#4: Post by walshman »

That's probably why it's leaking then. No matter how much you try to tighten that nut with no washer inside it will keep leaking. Get down to a DIY store and buy a similar hose with a washer in or contact the place where you brought the machine and explain the situation. :) Check the other end to see if there is a washer in there.
Dennis

#5: Post by Viernes (original poster) »

Thanks Walsh. But are you sure this fittings comes with a rubber washer? I saw a pic here: http://www.heating-parts.co.uk/media/ST ... 209A8A.JPG

And as you can see there's no washer. I don't understand how this things come without washers. :?:

walshman

#6: Post by walshman »

I'm 99.9 percent certain it does. They sometimes fall out. I sold my Duetto last week otherwise I would check for you. Perhaps other Duetto owners will give there view.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Most fittings like that are designed for a metal-to-metal seal between slightly deformable brass parts. I can see what appears to be a bevel cut on your "mushroom" male hose end and a corresponding one on the female receiver.

Is this the hose that came with the Duetto? Try coating the male hose end with a marking pen and lightly snug the nut while keeping the fitting stationary. Disassemble and see if you have reasonable uniform contact on the mushroom face.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by Viernes (original poster) »

Well, I tried to install again... and some drop of water every minute or so... tighten... still leak... tighten more... no leaks in the last hour. :roll: Seems this fitting need to be really tight. Anyway, this kind of fittings are proffessional? I don't like them, it doesn't seem very safe to me.

Thanks walshman and eric.

genovese

#9: Post by genovese »

Viernes wrote:Supposedly this fittings does not need teflon tape or o-rings?
Correct, and no washers either. The seal is between the two metals of the male (ball) and female (socket) parts, and nothing comes between them. The nut has nothing to do with the seal itself, so no washer is needed or possible. If the parts are in near-perfect condition (as they must be), the sealing region describes a perfect and narrow circle. Over-tightening in the extreme may deform the parts and lead to failure, but if the mating surface(s) are not quite perfect, then I guess you have little to lose by tightening a bit more, if that controls the leak. It sounds like you may have a nick or ridge or groove in the surface(s). Very high supply pressure will aggravate this (among other things). At worst, you may have to replace the hose or the fitting it engages. Within limits of the photo (resolution and only one half visible), your "ball" end seemed OK, but it is vulnerable as long as it's not attached. The other fitting should be well protected where it sits, but it could have been nicked before assembly, so I would examine it under good light and magnification, even if that means turning the machine on its side. If I had another known good hose handy, I'd substitute it to see if that helped. As for safety, this is similar to a "flare" fitting, which, where I live, is the legal standard for use in detachable connections that are safety-critical, e.g. natural gas connections inside structures. I have a similar connection that holds water at 3 bar pressure with (if I had to guess) 10 ft-lb of torque applied, though I use ~15 ft-lb to make it mechanically secure.

hadriano

#10: Post by hadriano »

ciao Viernes :)
sorry from your problem.
No washer/gasket , is a "idiot" engineer solution from hose connection.If I have posibility I will ask the design engineer:sir, please, come with me in a store where to search a hose connection same yours.If we find only one hose same yours, i bought 100 from you.This, with spheric is not ussualy.More is ORFS, with washer and plane surface, same with all washer machine connection.
I belive the problem is brass, not steel from hose.Unfortunately, is necessarly to make again a plane face, to have a very tick surface to seal.If you tryed more and more, the sealing surface is big, half of mm or more.Is good to be only a theoretical edge.Unfortunately to rezolve without demote nothing is difficult.I will see in my duetto if is possible to change all brass part, with one with ORFS face.You will speak in private.