Steam wand movement not smooth, even after DOW111

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
benm5678

#1: Post by benm5678 »

Hi guys -

On my Strega, the steam wand started squeaking, and not move smoothly as used to be. Water wand still perfect.

So I removed it, cleaned, applied DOW111. But it's not helping... I tried to use various amounts/none... apply cold, hot... etc. It may be smooth for a little bit, but after short use becomes rough.

This is same issue I had on my Duetto. There I thought it's since some chrome pealed off the ball joint. Eventually there I cut the spring enough to make it smooth... but it doesn't feel as nice as the factory setup. On Strega all the pieces looks to be in good shape... no pealing.

Am I alone with this? I can't find any other post on this... DOW111 is only suggestion I saw -- is that what factory uses?

Thanks for any advice!!

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Just exchange the steam and HW wands - yes there is a ~1" difference in length but that might help you further troubleshoot this problem.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Is it the common set up with acorn and lock washer? A photo would help...
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

earlgrey_44

#4: Post by earlgrey_44 »

I use the steam wand on the Mondiale much more than the water arm, and I too have noticed the same problem as above has developed with my steam arm after a few years of use.

Disassembly, clean and lube helped but the stiffness has quickly returned.

While acorn-and-lock-nut is a good generic description of the ball joint arrangement, I've noticed that some arm ball joints have a brass ring that the ball slides around under, to help seal it, while on the Isomac, some kind of rubber o-ring is used for the same purpose.

I can't tell if it's a specially contoured o-ring, or if it just looks that way now after being squished inside the joint for years. In any case, I've attributed the stiffness to the deterioration of that ring/gasket, and have not yet gotten around to sourcing a replacement. It doesn't leak yet.

So that's my theory of the crime so far...
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Viernes

#5: Post by Viernes »

Same problem on 2 machines. Weird.

I have Dow111 in my Duetto. No problem. Smooth but firm. Dow111 must be applied into a dry surface, so be sure you dry well the ball joint, brass ring and spring.

If you have some chrome pealed off, I'd completely peel off all the chrome from the joint ball. I don't want chrome in my milk and is possible that some chunk could obstruct the steam wand. Descaling products can eliminate the chrome, so perhaps it would be easier to submerge the ball joint into a descaling solution than sand.

benm5678 (original poster)

#6: Post by benm5678 (original poster) »

Thanks for tips!
Not a huge deal...
I suspect maybe the brass piece... when I get a curious enough I'll swap parts with the water wand to see which is the problem.

Bob_McBob

#7: Post by Bob_McBob »

benm5678 wrote:This is same issue I had on my Duetto. There I thought it's since some chrome pealed off the ball joint. Eventually there I cut the spring enough to make it smooth... but it doesn't feel as nice as the factory setup.
Did you just cut a loop off the spring or something to decrease the tension? My Duetto's steam wand is also pretty bad because of the peeled chrome, even with a fresh lubrication.
Chris

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

Dang, and I was just about to get around to lubing mine with Dow 111 in hopes that it would make it smoother too. It's been getting rougher and rougher when turning, and I don't like the spring scraping noise.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LaDan

#9: Post by LaDan »

What are you guys talking about? Moving the wand is making noise, or the turning of the valve? Seems to me the OP talked about the wand and TomC about the valve.

My wand is ok. My valve made noise right from new and many times it is getting stuck on close after steaming. Meaning, I steam, wipe clean, try to purge and the valve would not move. I often need to use two hands to turn it open.

I just figure when it breaks, I'll just install the complete LM GB5/FB80 wand set in there. $173 at EspressoParts http://www.espressoparts.com/MZ_545

If that bothers you that much, maybe you should consider this.

benm5678 (original poster)

#10: Post by benm5678 (original poster) »

Bob_McBob wrote:Did you just cut a loop off the spring or something to decrease the tension? My Duetto's steam wand is also pretty bad because of the peeled chrome, even with a fresh lubrication.
Yea, i used a dremel to cut off a little... it's smooth now, but a little too loose... (stays where i put it though, so not a big issue). Argh... being a perfectionist is a curse ;)