Bezzera BZ40 - Pump Noise

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Whiplash_Willy

#1: Post by Whiplash_Willy »

Today at 5:32am Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove
My old Bezzera BZ40 is making a weird noise when it pumps water, and when the pump stops. The noise while the pump is on is only apparent when there is no pressure at the grouphead (When the portafilter is off). The noise when the pump stops happens whether there is a portafilter on the grouphead or not.

The Noise while the pump is on, is kind of like a constant squeeking/hissing sound.

The noise when the pump is turned off is a short squeek type sound.

I have a video that shows both noises here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omYmoMc ... MeweEy22A=

Do you guys think this is an issue with the motor or the pump, or something else?

Is this really bad, and need to be addressed right away?

Any tips on what to look at, or how to fix?

Other then this noise, the BZ40 works perfectly! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Does the noise happen during autofill?
I suspect the noise is from the 3-way valve, not the pump; might be time for a descale. Or the coil might be a little loose or in an odd position where it vibrates funny.
LMWDP #331

Advertisement
Whiplash_Willy

#3: Post by Whiplash_Willy »

Yes, it makes the noise during autofill. It is an old machine and I have been using it for about 1 year and it has always made that noise, but it seems to be getting a little worse. I have descaled it twice with Citric Acid, but maybe I need to use something different? I hope I don't' have to disassemble it for a full descale.

Funny you mention the 3 way valve though. When I am making a long shot, and turn off the brew button, the water will spatter out of the 3 way valve sometimes.