La Marzocco GS3 steam boiler overheating - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jacob

#11: Post by Jacob »

shadowfax wrote:There is a big cup with a lid around the OPV. The base of that cup hooks up to the tube that drains it to the drip tray. Most of the water should go into the drip tray, ...
Not so on the older machines!
Like mine - one of the more risky ones, with open cup and no drain for the vacuum breaker:

shadowfax

#12: Post by shadowfax »

Wow, good to know. That's... an incredibly bad idea given where the very expensive brain box is on the machine. It's good they've improved that design, but a little disheartening that they ever shipped a machine with a design flaw like that
Nicholas Lundgaard

wiz561 (original poster)

#13: Post by wiz561 (original poster) »

Holy cow! What's your serial number? Is that one of the first ones? The buttons are square though and not little circle ones, so it must be somewhat updated.

It's amazing to see all the differences. Just from the look of it, there's no tea mixer wheel, which then makes an easier connection to the pump... The drain valve for the boiler is on the other side, there's a think with a cup over it, which looks like the OPV. It's just amazing to see and be able to pick out all the little differences. It also looks less jam packed, which makes it easier to work on....

shadowfax

#14: Post by shadowfax »

Jacob's GS3 is pretty heavily modified, so don't read too much into what you're looking at!
Nicholas Lundgaard

Jacob

#15: Post by Jacob »

wiz561 (original poster)

#16: Post by wiz561 (original poster) »

Jacob,

Wow, thank you so much for that link. I had the parts catalog, but it's a different one where it lists the diagrams and part numbers, but no descriptions. This is extremely helpful.

Thanks!

wiz561 (original poster)

#17: Post by wiz561 (original poster) »

I wanted to say thank you again for all the responses.

It's been a big mystery on the cause of this. I've been using the machine for the past couple of days and it's been absolutely fine. I didn't want to jinx myself, but so far, everything has been great....and the only thing I did was descale the steam boiler and rinse it a number of times.

I wonder if something was stuck in one of the lines and eventually it got flushed out. That's the only thing that I could think of... Strange stuff.

Thanks!