Need replacement RTD for Francis Francis! X5 - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pmhchang

#11: Post by pmhchang »

My X5 seems to encounter some problem since the breaker of the outlet where the machine was on blew off. I think there was some water leaking from the water heater element (after opening it up) that caused it.
Since then, my X5 cannot be turned off by the switch on the machine and it takes more than 10 minutes for the boiler to warm up the water and the indication light would not shout off even the water is hot enough( I think). Even the water pump still working (make noise when brewing), I doubt I am getting enough pressure out of it because the pod was not as dry and solid as before.

I think I might need a new pcb board +sensor. What do you think?
Btw, where can you find the parts for francisfrancis espresso machine? That charge you $120 and up just to look at the machine and there is no guaranty the initial $120 will cover the total cost for repairing. It seems very difficult to get the parts anyplace else. That is the reason I was looking on ebay.

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

fattmoo wrote:I have a X1 and plan on doing this same mod. I picked up a used x1 at a garage sale and they swore it worked... I guess that was a half truth because the pump works and the boiler only gets hot when the steam switch is on but not when in brew mode. Upon inspecting the board it had two resistors that were burnt out and one foot of a transistor burnt. Considering Francis wiring diagrams don't exist I had to guess at the ohms of the resistors. I soldered new ones in and resoldered the foot and put it all back together
That must be a common problem as I fixed one recently with the same problem. I found a schematic on the web with the proper values, replaced the three parts and sent it home working. And I can't find it now on the web, but I have a copy if anyone needs it.

Ira

Advertisement
mhoy

#13: Post by mhoy »

I've a couple of X5s from the local Craigslist. Rough shape, but the seller claimed one worked (HA, next time I plug them in). Both have toasted heating elements....

In any case, I'd be willing to remove one of the RTDs and send it your way. I've other parts too if needed. Send me private email with your contact info if interested.

Mark

clarklaird

#14: Post by clarklaird »

This subject and thread is helping me understand what might be the problem for my X1 machine that doesn't heat all the way up when in the brew mode and also the steam mode. (It gets about 2/3rds of the way there and slowly getting worse.) I am guessing that it is either the RTD (sensor?) or the temp control board (PCB board?) but don't know which. Any suggestions on where to start would be helpful. I am an electronics novice, but my husband is a bit more handy. Thanks, Becky

Zircote

#15: Post by Zircote »

It is unlikely the RTD has failed.
The temp control board is your likely problem.
There is always a chance that the RTD is not properly mounted in the temp well on top of the boiler.
There needs to be a good blob of heat sink grease in the well to connect the RTD to the boiler.
But given the symptoms you mention it is not a very likely that is the problem.

ira
Team HB

#16: Post by ira »

If the temp board is frying it's better to try and fix it sooner than later. I have a few more sets of the parts I used to fix the temp control board on another X1. On that one the power transistor was no properly attached to the heat sink and burnt up. It's easy to make sure that will never happen again. Break the edge on the replacement transistor so it actually sits flat on the heat sink and use some heat sink goo. Assuming of course that yours has the same problem. I can fix it if the problem is that obvious and you want to send it to Los Angeles. I also have a copy of the schematic I found on the web which told me what the burnt up parts were.

Ira