Astoria Argenta boiler pressure adjustment

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mach

#1: Post by Mach »

Recently started working at a bar that has an Astoria Argenta from around 2007 and I do the espresso drinks so I want to get it dialed in. While closed for renovations, the machine went out for servicing. Not sure how it was working when it left, but when it came back it was a mess. Missing screws, odd screws where they weren't missing, pretty filthy, and boiler set at 1.9 bars! I managed to get it down to 1.2, but we're at nearly 5,000 feet so I'd like to try it a little lower. Unfortunately, the adjustment screw is now bottomed out. Is there any other way to reduce the boiler pressure? Any reason the pressure would be so high? Also, while the boiler pressure needle does respond to changes and seems accurate, the "dispensing pressure" needle doesn't move. I imagine the gauge could've gotten fried by the too-high temperature, and the shots are now much prettier so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. Steaming is also more manageable, though still a little fast for my taste. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, James