New Valentina user needs help! Boiler pressure keeps rising

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ptrck2184

#1: Post by ptrck2184 »

Just unpacked my machine and when I fire it up the boiler heats to 2bar and then the pressure release goes

Ideas?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

If it's new, you should call your vendor. What you describe suggests the pressurestat is stuck.
Dan Kehn

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

If new, call the reseller - could be a faulty P'stat, incorrectly wired P'stat, blocked passage, etc.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

ptrck2184 (original poster)

#4: Post by ptrck2184 (original poster) »

Is there an easy way to "unstick" the pstat?

I trust your word Dan. If it's problematic I will go through the exchange process. I got it straight from royal falcon.

I was just anxious to use the new machine.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Valentina is equipped with a Sirai pressurestat; it has a very large spring/diaphragm. While it's not impossible to adjust it too tight, it would take many turns of the adjustment screw. Randy may well be right that it's wired incorrectly. Since it's under warranty, I would not proceed except under Royal Falcon's explicit instructions, otherwise you risk voiding your warranty.
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by ptrck2184 (original poster) »

Just as an update: Grimac Royal Falcon had one of their espresso techs look at the machine. It turns out that a calcium deposit was blocking the diaphragm in the pipe that leads from the boiler to the pstat. The blockage was preventing steam from getting to the pstat. The tech took off the pstat and cleared the line with a paper clip. The block in the line came from testing in the Italian factory.

After all of that I am up and running. Excited to get home tonight and post a pic in the home espresso setup thread!

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

ptrck2184 wrote: It turns out that a calcium deposit was blocking the diaphragm in the pipe that leads from the boiler to the pstat. .... The block in the line came from testing in the Italian factory.
:shock:

Uhh... really? That's what they told you?! It is difficult to believe that the test done at the factory, which would be short in duration even under the most stringent of standards, could do that. My first response to that if they said it to me would be, "B... S...!" A $1700 machine, new, with scaling problems? It would make me question whether it was really a new machine or the procedures at the factory, or how long it sat in a box with really hard water in it before you got it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#8: Post by ptrck2184 (original poster) »

I am not certain it was calcium. Just a blockage in the line. The boiler was tested in Italy in April 2011.

I do not think I can or will return the machine now as it is operating well but is there anything that I should watch for over the next few months that might indicate a prior water hardness problem?

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

ptrck2184 wrote:The tech took off the pstat and cleared the line with a paper clip. The block in the line came from testing in the Italian factory.
The more likely explanation is that the pressurestat inlet was clogged with thread sealant or swarf. While this mishap doesn't inspire the highest level of confidence in their quality assurance, given their overall solid track record, I wouldn't worry.
Dan Kehn