Bottomless portafilter for Izzo Duetto?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Javacat

#1: Post by Javacat »

Does anyone with a Duetto have a perfect-fitting bottomless portafilter that wasn't manufactured specifically for the Duetto? I heard that the Rancilio ones fit, but when I tried to use it, it would only lock in less than about a 1/2 inch (7 o'clock position). If I can't find one that fits ill probably just send it off to have it cut.

jlunavtgrad

#2: Post by jlunavtgrad »

I have the one from Rancilio. I ordered it from Chris Coffee when I got my machine. If you already have the Rancilio it would be cheaper to order a thinner gasket. The Duetto comes with a slightly thicker gasket than most E61 machines, 8.5mm if I remember correctly. You can try getting an 8mm or a 7.5mm so you will have a better fit with your portafilter.

Javacat (original poster)

#3: Post by Javacat (original poster) »

Thanks. Got a new gasket on the way. 8.5 is the stock one - they are sending me an 8mm. Hopefully that will do the trick.

haunce

#4: Post by haunce »

So with this tight gasket, would a 57mm bottomless portafilter fit?

I'm looking to get one for my Duetto - I was looking at this one.

Anyone have any recommendations besides the rancilio one from Chris' Coffee?

rgs1218

#5: Post by rgs1218 »

I believe the 58 mm is the width of the opening/basket, not the depth of the PF, which is impacted by the gasket. You'd have to test it for fit but I'd guess you would have problems either with where the shower screen fits into/above the basket and the PF not tightening due to overall diameter of the PF being less.

As the description of your linked portafilter specifically says it fits your machine, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

I use a LM portafilter primarily. It fits in at a 7 o'clock possition and functions fine.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Beezer

#7: Post by Beezer »

You can also file done the ears of the PF a bit to make it fit better. Just be careful not to take off too much. Brass is soft you can take a lot of material really quickly if you're not careful.
Lock and load!

CSME9

#8: Post by CSME9 »

haunce- Tried to PM you...please contact me.

WS

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

Or you could chop the bottom out of one of your stock portafilters.

How To Make Your Own Naked Portafilter

Or send it to someone to mill the bottom out. Been doing a lot of those lately.
Dave Stephens