Olympia Coffex brew pressure problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hochstedler2

#1: Post by hochstedler2 »

Hello, I am a first timer on here. I just picked up an 85 or 86 model of an olympia coffex. It looks in really good shape but the pump wasn't working. The steam would work from the boiler but no water would come from the grouphead. I found a fluid-o-tech pump at orphanespresso and just installed it. I can hear the new pump trying to pump but nothing comes out of the grouphead still. I've followed the tubing/piping all the way from the "out" of the pump to the opening of the group without any obstructions. If I try to disconnect all of the tubing and simply pump right out of the end of the pump I get just a small dribble of water. I'm new to these machines and would be very happy with any ideas or advice with this machine. Thanks in advance!
Hans

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

First and foremost - DISCONNECT your machine's heating element while all of this is going on.

If I remember correctly, the pump in all(?) Olympia machines has a direct connection to the bottom of the water reservoir BUT STILL, the Fluid-O-Tech pump should be initially force fed with a turkey baster. One dose or less should do it. The Fluid-O-Tech pumps are not as "self-priming" as the Ulka's - that's been my experience.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Sherman

#3: Post by Sherman »

If this happens just after turning the machine on, I'd let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Actually, make sure that the reservoir has water, then let it sit. For some reason, the FOT pump takes a few minutes to prime. I don't know the exact reason, but have observe similar behavior when I empty out my Coffex for transport, plug it in at the destination and wonder why water doesn't immediately come out.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

hochstedler2 (original poster)

#4: Post by hochstedler2 (original poster) »

Thanks! Ill give these things a try when I get home and let you know how it works.
Hans

#5: Post by hochstedler2 (original poster) »

Well I tried both of these suggestions and neither of them seemed to work. I wasn't able to force water in with the turkey baster. Letting it sit and warm up a while didn't seem to help either. Im wondering if it has something to do with those one way valve glass "bearings" that are inline in the water line are causing to much restriction for the pump? Im scared to run the pump to long because I don't want to burn the pump up either. Could this possibly be a selinoid problem?

#6: Post by hochstedler2 (original poster) »

Well I got it figured out. I tried everything I could think of. I replaced the solenoid, checked every electrical connection. Finally I was able to hook up an external pump pre-pump and turn both pumps on at the same time. I'm not sure why this worked but in a few seconds I had water coming through the group. I removed the external pump and tried the internal pump on its own. Sure enough I had hot water to the group! I don't know if this just jump started the pump or primed the whole line but she is making amazing espresso and its all crema!