New Alex Duetto II Pump/Fill/Brew Pressure Issues - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CrayonShinchan

#11: Post by CrayonShinchan »

vulches wrote:Sounds like the microswitch behind the lever is broken according to Chris' - they gave me a workaround I'll try tonight until they can send me a replacement. Apparently this has happened before during shipment. At least it sounds like it's not a user error problem here.
Yes, please tell us the workaround. I presume this would effect a machine that is plumbed or in pourover mode.

ronaldvalente

#12: Post by ronaldvalente »

I have a few leads to work on provided by Chris Coffee.
Man their service department is just fantastic!

1. Could have went into a fill error. -> Unplug machine and plug it back in.
1a. Ensure adequate line pressure if plumbed in.
2. Check wires on brew switch, ensure they are on tight. -> Caused by shipping to loosen up sometimes.

I will report my findings.
-R

CrayonShinchan

#13: Post by CrayonShinchan replying to ronaldvalente »

Great, I should have my machine within an hour or so. I'm hoping it'll be plug-n-play but it seems like there's some tinkering involved to get it right.

ronaldvalente

#14: Post by ronaldvalente »

The brew level was pushing against the switch, this is usually due to UPS dropping the box :-\
Easy fix, just back the brew switch off a few turns, do it when its cold! :)

Now the machine is working perfectly!
-R

ronaldvalente

#15: Post by ronaldvalente »

Called up CC just a little while ago and the service dept know the exact issue, UPS. :)

That being said there was a very simple fix.
1. Remove brew level but unscrewing the large flat head screw on the side of the brew level.

2. Loosen the nut holding the brew switch in place three or so turns.

3. Push the brew switch in and tighten the nut on the other side of the face plate.

4. Then re-tighen the brew switch locking it back into place.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help!
-R

Paret

#16: Post by Paret »

:D

I had to adjust the switch too.

Not a big deal. Easy fix.

Now get away from the computer and go get some Espresso!!!

:twisted: :twisted:
Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

MrMojo

#17: Post by MrMojo »

Thanks so much for posting these pictures. I received my new Duetto II yesterday evening and was bummed to find it "defective" because the pump wouldn't go off. This morning I found this thread and had the switch adjustment done in a few minutes. The switch was a good 1/4 inch too close to the brew arm, but after adjusting it the machine is working perfectly. Thanks!!!

weoboines

#18: Post by weoboines »

Let me add URGENTLY to the "ALARM" problem, and see if anyone can help [Brand new machine, has never worked out of the box: i.e., the alarm sounds when the tank is full. Disclosure - I am a professional (equipment dealer, craft roaster), this is my first Alex Duetto II purchased for home use; I work closely with Chris & his stellar Staff (mostly Roger, Jason, Tim -- they are extraordinary in their talents and patience!!). I am working diligently with Tim on this problem, but it is now the weekend, and I need my espresso! Please understand, there is noone out there better than ChrisCoffee & Crew for machine knowledge IMHO. I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for input.

[here's the setup: 15 AMP using proper adapter pigtail, top-fill (yes, the tank is seated properly, no kinks in single silicone tube), 120 PPM TDS water formulated by remineralization at my shop, September shipment (most recent batch), both side switches on (although with steam switch off I still get false-ALARM), brew switch adjusted with 2 mm gap (originally shipped out of adjustment, i.e., sticking out too far and depressed against the brew lever cam), water pressure adjusted to 9 bar, visual confirmation that no teflon tape is obstructing fill solenoid - i removed it, and there was a healthy squirt), and, finally, the magnetic float was shipped installed upside down with the stopper shoved down 1/2" too far - so I corrected that where so the small magnetic dot is now on top, and the top of the stopper is now flush with the channel where the float assembly is "parked".]

Here's the problem: same as above - after 3,4, or five drinks, the pump will come on for 20-30 seconds, then the PID screen will go blank, and the alarm will sound (fill error?). Sometimes if I wiggle the brew lever, I will get a "1.02" readout [indicating reboot, but not really rebooting]. Both gauges will reflect pressurized condition (9 bar and 1 bar, water and steam, respectively). I let it cool for 15-20 minutes, turn it all back on, heat it up, then I can get another 3, 4, 5 drinks, then groundhog day again! Some variation: if the tank is actually empty, the alarm will sound, and, after adding water, sometimes the alarm will stop and we are good to go; most of the time, however, after the refill, the alarm will continue to sound forcing me to "reboot", i.e., turn off all switches, waiting 5-10 seconds, then starting up again. Sadly, most of the time, after this hard reset, we go right back to the pump coming on for 20-30 seconds, followed by the alarm, etc.

Ideas? I do not think it is the magnetic contact microswitch - I believe the switch is pretty simple, i.e., there is either contact or not. Perhaps the magnet is not strong enough, and the switch senses low water from the magnet not completing the circuit? Any ideas on how to make a float with a stronger magnet?

The behavior is as though there is an intermittent water path problem? Should I be looking for obstruction elsewhere? I doubt it, but am open to ideas that make sense. There is something about HEAT that seems to be contributing to the problem. Why would a shutdown (cooling off period) sometimes return things to normal? I just turned machine back on after 35 minute cool down, it started right up, pump came on for less than 1 second, PID panel lit up, no alarm, and it seems to be heating up ok. HELP!!

Any thoughts welcome - a free bag of our artisan roasted coffee to person who comes up with the fix. [Please do not consider this shameless advertising.] Thanks!