Finally mastering Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
richardsaddiction

#1: Post by richardsaddiction »

I received my VBM Junior HX exactly two months ago and I have finally mastered extraction, microfoaming and pouring a latte art. There is no substitute for lots and lots of practice on all fronts! A beautiful rosetta last night and a heart this morning. My previous machine was an (ahem) Estro Profi (aka *$ Barista) which could not foam milk nor pull anything resembling a decent shot.

I have been silently reading a lot here over the past few months, thanks all for your contributed knowledge.

I want to archive my experience on steaming with the VBM Junior for others who come after. This machine has a two hole tip, which angle out at 45deg or so. I have been using straight side milk pitchers, 12 and 24oz. The best whirlpool in both of these pitchers is obtained with the wand vertical and placed in the center of the pitcher. You get a beautiful pair of whirpools to either side of the wand. The real trick is fine tuning the valve setting to get a nice stable rolling. At my boiler setting (1.15bar) this allows me to fully open it for 10+oz and work at 1/8 turn past turn on for smaller quantities. I had initially been working the wand on the side of the pitcher, but this *does not work* for the stock steam tip. Steaming happens very quickly, 15s or less for small amounts, and maybe 30-40s or so for the larger pitcher. It also took a while to learn exactly when to stop. I now can recognize by the sound which gets louder and throatier as the foam incorporates, you need to stop roughly 'half way' to the loud roaring sound. Too far and you overheat it, destroying the texture.

Ok, back to making more coffee! Thanks all.

fizguy

#2: Post by fizguy »

Well, I hope you photographed them! If you are able, post them here so we can all admire. :)