Pour time for Mypressi TWIST

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
GeoffPDX

#1: Post by GeoffPDX »

Fellow mypressi owners: do you find that your doubles take longer than the conventional 25-30 seconds? I'm dosing 17-18 grams and pulling (still very tasty) .75-1 oz. ristrettos in 40-45 seconds. Is this your experience, too? Or do you think I'm doing something a bit wrong...

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Just like on a lever machine, the water temps only decline during the shot; long (time) ristrettos with this temp profile don't suffer as much from overexctraction you might get on a pump machine, in fact they can be better this way - I've had some very long extractions on the lever that turned out syrupy sweet.
LMWDP #331

Advertisement
GeoffPDX (original poster)

#3: Post by GeoffPDX (original poster) »

Ah, interesting... Thanks for the info!

dcupstateNY

#4: Post by dcupstateNY »

GeoffPDX wrote:Fellow mypressi owners: do you find that your doubles take longer than the conventional 25-30 seconds? I'm dosing 17-18 grams and pulling (still very tasty) .75-1 oz. ristrettos in 40-45 seconds. Is this your experience, too? Or do you think I'm doing something a bit wrong...
That's pretty much been my experience too, though my doubles have been 16g, producing 1.5 to 1.75oz in the cup. And, I can honestly say they have been some of the nicest looking, great tasting shots I've had. I'm always amazed at how well this device brews espresso.
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

jedovaty

#5: Post by jedovaty »

I will try this, just ordered some more cartridges after a 6 week lull.

Question: when you measure the shot, is that fluid oz or weight? What's the mass come to in grams on such shots? I had been aiming a 14-16g grind for a 28-32g shot in 25-30s as a bench mark and watch for signs of blonding. The 18g basket recommended by mypressi yields shots way too much for my likling.

However, the 28-32g seems like a lot less than what I see in videos and pictures...

subq

#6: Post by subq »

at 18g my doubles are taking much longer than 25-30s, however, I've been weighing pre-grind only and only looking at volume of the shot which isn't ideal
LMWDP #357

dcupstateNY

#7: Post by dcupstateNY »

jedovaty wrote:Question: when you measure the shot, is that fluid oz or weight? What's the mass come to in grams on such shots? I had been aiming a 14-16g grind for a 28-32g shot in 25-30s as a bench mark and watch for signs of blonding. The 18g basket recommended by mypressi yields shots way too much for my likling.
That's fluid oz. Next use, I'll weigh the shot to determine the gram weight, and will follow-up with a post here.
Like you, I initially was pulling 18g shots, even 20g at times, but find 16g to be the sweet spot lately, YMMV of course. I'll experiment/deviate depending on whether I'm brewing blends or SO's.
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

Advertisement
jedovaty

#8: Post by jedovaty replying to dcupstateNY »

Okay, thanks. The resulting 28-32g espresso I make looks a lot less than what I see in most videos and pictures, and I don't have such small volume measurements readily available at hand. It seems 32g of espresso requires even less water in the mypressi than the bottom of that lip though in all the videos they make doubles from the top line and pull until all the water is out.

I'd been balancing dose/grind/time based on Andy's table here.