MyPressi Twist gas cartridges on aircraft

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
DavidBondy

#1: Post by DavidBondy »

I am a frequent flyer back and forth to the USA. If I wanted to bring my Twist with me, does anyone know if it is legal to carry the gas bottles in my checked baggage?

Thanks in advance!

DB
L1 - Compak K10 - Portaspresso Rosco, Rossa TR & HC - Torr Goldfinger

Phaelon56

#2: Post by Phaelon56 »

No it is not. But I spoke with the MyPressi folks at the SCAA show and they advised that an electric pump option is being introduced - one that is small and appropriate for travel.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

There is a proviso in the TSA list of prohibited items that you can bring gas cartridges that accompany a flotation vest as checked or carry-on baggage. Four cylinders would be plenty for me for a trip, but the flotation vests can be costly.
TSA Website wrote:Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)
There's reports on CoffeeGeek of success when traveling with the flotation device:
wideasleep1 wrote:I did finally look it up on TSA's site, and saw conflicting info...'no compressed gas cylinders' carry-on or checked...BUT also saw COMPACT gas cylinders yes and yes for both carry-on and checked, along with the flotation vest accompaniment clause. Figuring all I had to lose was a few cylinders, I decided to add 4 to my camera bag that holds the Mypressi and Porlex (which has caused delays itself at the x-ray) and just passed security with no questions. He backed up the conveyor and took a second extended look, and I sighed, awaiting for the drill, but was surprised when he flicked the conveyor back on. Passed this time, so YMMV. :D
I've also heard about the hybrid Twist that's yet to be introduced. It's supposed to be able to use the cartridges or electric charge.

I've been traveling with an AeroPress and Coava #008 Disk in lieu of the Twist and the most trouble I had on the recent trip was with the hard-boiled eggs we packed in for our return from Hawaii when being scanned for the agricultural inspection. I bet they don't see that many travelers packing them.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JonR10

#4: Post by JonR10 »

yakster wrote:I've also heard about the hybrid Twist that's yet to be introduced. It's supposed to be able to use the cartridges or electric charge.
There seems to be some confusion with this, but when I spoke with the inventor at the SCAA show he indicated that the new pump unit could be used with ANY existing MyPressi.

Presumably there will be a rechargeable adapter to take the place of the gas cartridge.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

mypressi

#5: Post by mypressi »

Yes, the electric recharger is in the works. I can't provide a release date yet, however it has been designed to work with all current variants of the mypressi TWIST.

DavidBondy (original poster)

#6: Post by DavidBondy (original poster) »

Thanks to those who replied ... I have dozens of cartridges and never seem to use them as I always travel overseas rather than inside the UK or Europe! Where would I buy suitable ones in the US (North Carolina)? Would supermarkets or stores like WalMart sell them?

Thanks again!

DB
L1 - Compak K10 - Portaspresso Rosco, Rossa TR & HC - Torr Goldfinger

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Not sure what major chains sell them, I usually order them online, but I have found that smoke shops and so called "head" shops usually carry the cartridges at a good price.

I went into one yesterday to inquire if they sold the CO2 cartridges for soda siphons, but no go. I'm going to try making a coffee soda. They also had some nice cases I asked about buying instead of heading to Harbor Freight to pick up another for carrying my coffee, but the proprietor told me that the cases were reserved for the hookah pipes they sold. Oh well, at least you can get the N2O cartridges there anyway.

Oh, it looks like from their website that Walmart carries cream chargers too, at least online anyway.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272