Time to bury the Isomac Millenium?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
randyinzurich

#1: Post by randyinzurich »

Hi

After about 4 years of minor leaks, quick fixes (food safe sealant of some sort), I think the boiler on my Isomac Millenium is done. I opened the machine:

and as you can see, there is a now a leak that seems dangerous (not too mention creates a pond under the machine).

I've heard a replacement boiler is about 475 and one can DIY and put in a new one. But I'm just wondering if it's time to sell for parts and look for my next machine?

Open to any thoughts and or feedback.
Randy

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

The current models are stainless steel. If yours is as well I would suggest carefully looking into your water quality before considering repair or the next machine. That picture is quite ugly and either reflects some long-term leakage or very poor water quality, or both. It appears that there is (or was) another leak at the top of the boiler, above the current leak.

Have you looked inside the boiler? I wonder what condition that is is as well as how much similar buildup there is on the heating element.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

That is one ugly mess. Stick a fork in that boiler and call it finished. I had a Millenium and found it to be nice machine. It served me well for several years and was the older brass boiler version. Replacing a boiler is job but you can do it in a couple evenings. If the replacement is $450, that is still much less expensive than a new machine which will hit you in the $1800 range. Have you ever had your water tested?
Dave Stephens

randyinzurich (original poster)

#4: Post by randyinzurich (original poster) »

Thanks Randy and Cannonfodder for your replies.

The water is certainly chalky - but I tried to descale it on a somewhat consistent basis, not to mention I always poured in Brita filtered water. Good catch Randy - I think you're right on the 2nd leak - this has been going on for a bit.

I'm going to try and connect with isomac.it and see how easy/difficult it is to get a stainless steel replacement boiler. Getting a new boiler should be better than a whole new machine.