Help with Hamilton Beach

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
muddauber

#1: Post by muddauber »

I am trying to get everything I can out of my HB semi auto espresso machine. I have had mixed results from my own home roasted beans. I use a Cuisenart grinder then a mortar & pestle to get the grind pretty fine. I even bought some Illy pre ground espresso Dark to see if that would make a difference. While it is a fine grind, I have better results using my home grown method. Even tamping the Illy hard, the flow from the portafilter is pretty fast. The result is not very tasty. Usually my "espresso" turns out bitter or sour.
I have ordered a VST Precision Filter Basket - 18g / Double to try & see what difference that makes.
Also I have read steverhineharts Frankenspresso mod where he pid's his HB machine. Might do that later.
I know most of these machines use the same type pump rated @ 15 bar. What I am not sure of is the group pressure. If is is rated @ 15 bar, but only 9 bar is needed to extract the espresso, what regulates the pressure? Is it the grind & tamp?
I have read that some of the semi autos have an adjustment where you can hook a gauge up to get whatever bar reading you want @ the group. I am not sure about mine.
So, time, temp (pid)?, grind, tamp, pressure, precision basket, fresh roasted beans, filtered spring water....does anyone have suggestions that might be helpful? I really would like to experience the sweet espresso taste that people talk about.

phreich

#2: Post by phreich »

My first suggestion to getting a great espresso shot is to upgrade your grinder -- the machine can't produce espresso properly without a consistent and proper grind.

Rather than spending $600 on a home prosumer grinder, you might consider getting a used commercial model that has a broken or missing bean hopper. These show up on Craigslist and Ebay and often sell for $100 or less. For home use, you don't need a hopper -- a short piece of PVC tubing that fits well in the throat that the hopper fit in will do the trick to hold the beans you need for a couple of shots, and you won't have the hopper looming high on your counter in the kitchen or preventing the grinder from fitting under a cupboard. There are lots of threads on modifying commercial grinders for home use, and how to check the burrs to see if they need replacing or not....

The beans you are using can also an issue -- are you able to get beans that have been roasted within the last week? Do you grind just before you brew so the grinds don't oxidize?

Once you have a good grind, then you can consider adjusting your brew pressure. This is usually done on machines without a gauge by using a modified commercial portafilter and screwing a gauge onto the nipple that the pour spout normally screws on. There are a number of threads on building these testing portafilters too.

Brew temp also needs to be checked to make sure your boiler's thermostat hasn't gotten out of spec and is either shutting off too early or too late.

Once you have determined you have the proper 9-10 bar pressure at the group, then you can start to fine-tune your grind and tamp, to make sure you are producing an appropriate amount of espresso within 20-30 seconds, and then you can finally really work on getting the best shot you can get out of your machine.

I hope this helps,

Philip

Advertisement
Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

You might want to start here:
The Home Barista's Guide to Espresso

Also, when your baskets are more expensive than the grinder, you've got your priorities wrong. Actually, buying a boutique, ultra-premium basket before a good grinder is so bass-ackwards that I'm not sure if you're joking or not.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

EricBNC

#4: Post by EricBNC »

muddauber wrote:I am trying to get everything I can out of my HB semi auto espresso machine. I have had mixed results from my own home roasted beans. I use a Cuisenart grinder then a mortar & pestle to get the grind pretty fine...
So, time, temp (pid)?, grind, tamp, pressure, precision basket, fresh roasted beans, filtered spring water....does anyone have suggestions that might be helpful? I really would like to experience the sweet espresso taste that people talk about.
I have one (two actually) of these machines - it is very finicky if the grind is not correct. Good shots are possible, but are not likely to happen using the method you describe. The thing I hate about this espresso machine is the cheap plastic - it gets brittle quickly (caused by internal heat? not sure) and unavailable parts start to fail. The potential was there for a nice entry level pump machine with a decent thermoblock/boiler (unique looking for a ThBlock - looks more like a small boiler) heats well, 58mm portafilter has a nice feel even though it is not brass, suction cup feet so it does not slide around in spite of the light weight, and passable steam. But too many corners were cut -the thin plastic body and plastic fittings are not durable and no internal parts are available from any place I can find online. Good luck.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

muddauber wrote:I am trying to get everything I can out of my HB semi auto espresso machine. I have had mixed results from my own home roasted beans. I use a Cuisenart grinder then a mortar & pestle to get the grind pretty fine. I even bought some Illy pre ground espresso Dark to see if that would make a difference. While it is a fine grind, I have better results using my home grown method. Even tamping the Illy hard, the flow from the portafilter is pretty fast. The result is not very tasty. Usually my "espresso" turns out bitter or sour.
I have ordered a VST Precision Filter Basket - 18g / Double to try & see what difference that makes.
Also I have read steverhineharts Frankenspresso mod where he pid's his HB machine. Might do that later.
I know most of these machines use the same type pump rated @ 15 bar. What I am not sure of is the group pressure. If is is rated @ 15 bar, but only 9 bar is needed to extract the espresso, what regulates the pressure? Is it the grind & tamp?
I have read that some of the semi autos have an adjustment where you can hook a gauge up to get whatever bar reading you want @ the group. I am not sure about mine.
What I've bolded up top is exactly the reason why people like Mark Prince should reserve hyperbole when referring to a new product. Also, it would bode Mark well to review items he's actually dissatisfied with, or are inferior...

Rob, you can purchase the PHAROS for 245USD and get 'titan quality' grinds. That'll be your best bet for in-the-cup satisfaction on a budget.
LMWDP #670

EricBNC

#6: Post by EricBNC »

Hi Robert, I notice in your equipment line you have a hand grinder from OE - what model grinder is this and have you tried using it for espresso with your machine?
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"