Hissing sound from my Isomac Tea and the pump turns on when idle at a couple of hours interval.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jonny2

#1: Post by jonny2 »

seems like the hissing sound does not appear until the machine has started to idle at full temperature.
this night i let it on to make a latte for breakfast and I heard it turn on the pump every second hour.

the hissing is low and i dont see any leaks from the outside of the machine. and i cant see any leaks from the water tank level changing. it it normal for a isomac tea to run the pump when idling?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

No. You have a steam leak. The water level in the boiler slowly lowers then the auto fill kicks in and fills the boiler. You will need to take the case off and look for the leak. It could be a bad vacuum breaker or loose fitting. Double check the steam wand as well to make sure the seal did not go bad.
Dave Stephens

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Assuming you're comfortable with DIY repairs, locating the source of the sound is the first step. A cardboard tube used as a stethoscope works great. If it turns out to be the vacuum breaker, soaking it in vinegar for 30 minutes should fix it. See Diagnosis: Slight whistling sound for more suggestions.
Dan Kehn

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

+1 and +1 to the above two posts by Dan and Dave.

You do want to take care of this ASAP because, over time, the escaping steam can have the potential of causing corrosion of electrical connections.

Occasional running of the pump over long periods of idle is not a concern, but being cyclical like that definitely points to an abnormal problem.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done