How do I remove a stuck expansion valve?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jknotzke

#1: Post by jknotzke »

Hi

I have a Cimbali JR S1. In this photo (not my machine) https://www.coffeegeek.com/images/37811 you can see the expansion valve circled.

To the right (or the left of the gauge) there is a fitting that is stuck. I cannot seem to unscrew it. The one above the valve came out OK but the one to the right, no luck. The problem is this entire affair "floats". I don't have much leverage and I am fearful of bending the pipes..

This OPV works fine btw.. The problem is I can't turn the screw to adjust the pressure. I'd like to descale it. What are my options ?

Thanks !

J

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

jknotzke wrote:I don't have much leverage and I am fearful of bending the pipes.
Get two wrenches, one for turning, the other acting as a counter-hold:
Randy G. wrote:Commonly referred to as a "Flare nut wrench":
From Boiler safety valve is hissing at 0.5 bar, bad spring?
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
jknotzke (original poster)

#3: Post by jknotzke (original poster) »

Ok, I managed to get it off..

Thanks Dan.

There is a screw on that OPV that allows you to set the pressure. Once I got it off, I soaked it in citric acid for 3 hours.. It's much cleaner and scale is gone. But do you think I can get that screw to turn to adjust the pressure ? Noooo.

It also squeals like a biatch in heat when backflushing.. A sure sign the rubber inside it needs replacing.. but I can't seem to get that screw off.

So, screw it.. I ordered another. I'll have to make a pressure gauge too now it appears.

Thanks again

J