Need help putting used Azkoyen Bravo 2 group back into service

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DVK

#1: Post by DVK »

Hello everyone! Newbie here :)
Just picked up a used Azkoyen Bravo 2 head machine with the intent to rebuild and use it instead of my current Breville Cafe Roma. The machine was unplugged from power and water so I have no idea if it is in working condition. The owner of the cafe stated it was and the only problem it had - a burned out wiring to the group head (I guess the keypad plastic did not withstand hot temps and by bending allowed the wires to touch the head). The power cord was brutally cut off by the service technician but the good thing I have a manual with the wiring diagram that was coming with the machine. And although the owner stated she operated the machine using 110V, I am afraid she is totally wrong, since it is clearly marked inside as 208V.

I am not afraid working neither with the hydraulics of the machine, nor with electrical parts, as I have an engineering degree, however this would not be my trade but rather a hobby, and I can not substitute a field experience with any knowledge (which btw could be a bit rusty and/or outdated). And thus I am seeking an advice from experienced pros here and my first question to the honorable community would be:

- One of the options to connect a machine depicted in the diagram is to 208V monophasic connection. Basically it requires 3 wires (1 phase, 1 neutral, and 1 ground). I have an 250V dryer connection available for testing (not going to use the machine in the laundry room, but rather need to find out the working condition), which is 3 wires 30 amp outlet with neural and 2 phases. The voltage between 2 hots should be 208V, if I am not mistaken (120*sqrt(3)) and that's what I need. Do I just purchase 10/3 dryer cable like this one http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-6-F ... B0002YUHAW and connect 2 outside wires to machines neural and phase and the central wire from the cord to machines ground, or my knowledge in this area is so rusty that I should stay away from the outlets and just hire an electrician ;)?
Also, any advise on what to do with the machine and where to start (decalcification of the boiler, gaskets), and, most importantly, where to find spare parts for azkoyen bravo (my search so far did not yield any satisfactory results) would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
=DVK

DVK (original poster)

#2: Post by DVK (original poster) »

Okay! Not so many electricians around here as it seems. :(
What I figured out by myself so far is that I was slightly off in assumption that the dryer outlet had 2 phases offset by each other by 120 degrees. It is a single phase (so called split-phase variety) as described here delivering 240V as opposed to 3 phase system, where the V between the phases would be ~208V.
I will be connecting the machine to the 240V though, as it lacks any electronics boards, and all the internals seems to be rated for 230V. Less than 5% increase in voltage is within acceptable V tolerance for this kind of equipment I would think.