Brew pressure gauge - Is it the pump pressure or the boiler pressure?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Desiderio

#1: Post by Desiderio »

My Faema E98 has a boiler pressure gauge which is usually at 1.2-1.3. Internally, the machine has a screw for adjusting boiler pressure and elsewhere a nut for adjusting the pump pressure. Which one actually represents the brew pressure? I ask because I'd like to lower the brew pressure and see if it corrects the problem I'm having which is this: After 10 years of making beautiful 2 espresso's at a time from my double portafilters--there's been an abrupt change; over the past 3 weeks I cannot make a decent double espresso. If I make the grind is too coarse, the espresso gushes out. As I make the grind finer, this is my problem: first a little stream of brown water comes out, then the espresso gushes out. I was told that this might be channeling BUT no matter how well I pack it or how fine i grind it, I get the same result. AMAZINGLY, when I use a single portafilter, this never happens and the espresso comes out excellent. There's been no change in grinder nor coffee. I was told that maybe the brew pressure has become too high. Any ideas out there-please let me know. THANKS!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

The boiler pressure (1.2-1.3) is the temperature in the boiler which is adjusted using the pressurestat (usually) or on some machine a digital control of some sort.

The force by which the water is sent to the group for brewing (brew pressure) is made using the pressure relief valve (for vibratory pump machines), or using the adjustment on the pump itself (for rotary pump machines).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Rosscopico0

#3: Post by Rosscopico0 »

Hi David,
As Randy said the gauge shows the boiler pressure, which is representative of the steam temperature.
The nut you described is for adjusting pump pressure, however it wont affect the reading on your gauge as the gauge is boiler pressure.
The Faema 98 has a vibe pump IIRC. It sounds like your pump OPV could be clogged with scale. That would send the pressure seen at the group head up to around 12 bar and could possibly explain what you are seeing.
If your machine has a water reservoir, there should be 2 or 3 plastic lines running to it. One would be for feeding the pump & another for the pump OPV which returns over pressure water to the reservoir.

When was the last time you descaled your machine?

Also when was the last time you cleaned out or changed your burrs on your grinder, as that could be the problem.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I believe the key to your problem is this:
. . . there's been an abrupt change . . .
Something of that order is typically indicative of a part failure as compared to a gradual degradation. What sort of maintenance/repairs has this machine had over your 10 years? I would suggest that you (or anyone else) NOT attempt to make any changes to brew pressure unless you know what the current value is.

It may be that an appointment with the nearest service facility is in order, emphasizing the abrupt change. In addition, there appears to be numerous models of Faema E98 so a pic would be helpful to other readers to help you.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Desiderio (original poster)

#5: Post by Desiderio (original poster) »

Randy,Ross and Eric,
Thanks for all this great info and advice. I have 2 grinders and I have this problem with the grind from each one. Nevertheless, I completely cleaned out my Faema MPN grinder yesterday(included the burrs) but have yet to reuse it. Interesting, I searched the whole internet and cannot find new burrs specifically for this grinder.
Re: descaling...I've never done and I own this Faema E98 since 1999!. Is there a specific technique? Finally, since the machine is directly connected to my water supply, it is a large hassle to remove it to bring to a facility. The place that sold it to me in Brooklyn in 1999 is gone so I have no idea where to bring it here in NJ.

#6: Post by Desiderio (original poster) »

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

. . . so I have no idea where to bring it here in NJ.
This would be a start: http://www.1st-line.com/ . In addition, these guys are the, AFAIK, Faema importer for North America and hopefully would know of a repair facility near you - http://www.faemasource.com/
Skål,

Eric S.

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

I realize it is a chore to move a machine of this size BUT after 10 years of faithful service, chances are that it could use some TLC IN ADDITION to determining the cause of your ABRUPT problem. While the 1st-Line shop may be a little closer to you, Jason Enterprises in Connecticut surely has Faema expertise in abundance.
Skål,

Eric S.

#9: Post by Desiderio (original poster) »

Thanks Eric. I'm going to first call 1st line and see if they come to the house to check it out. I guess it would need some TLC by now.

#10: Post by Desiderio (original poster) »

EUREKA!!! I simply got a new double-shot portafilter basket(14g) and the problem is solved! :D