Rancilio Silvia brews too fast - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

I took apart everything except the group part.
Once you remove the screw that holds the shower screen in place, three parts come loose: the screen, the dispersion screw, and the dispersion block. On older Silvia's, the dispersion block was part of the brewhead but on yours it is a separate part. You MAY BE surprised as to how "gross" these parts can become and effect brew quality.

Prior to doing this, measure the flow coming out of Silvia's grouphead by simply flushing/dispensing into a pyrex measurer through an empty portafilter. You should have a flow in the neighborhood of 500 ml/minute and you can do this with the machine lukewarm.

These comments are based on:
It was been brewing the same espresso for 4 years now til now....
I read your initial post as if everything was fine and dandy on one day and on the next day, everything went to "hell in a hand basket."
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Frenchie (original poster)

#12: Post by Frenchie (original poster) »

Thank you for all your support, answers and advice.

I couldnt agree more regarding the coffee, freshness and grinder.

A little background, I grew up in France and corsican root. I stop drinking coffee altogether when I moved here 20 years ago until 4 years ago, I invested in a Silvia. BTW, lavazza blue isnt the greatest but does a fine job for a pre-ground coffee and is way better than any coffee shop or restaurant with fancy expensive coffee machine I tried so far.

So yes I tried dif brand, took my machine to a friend who own a grinder. I am very Cartesian and methodical. I try pretty much everything and here today, because I am running logical explanation other than mechanical.

Thank you for listening and keep feeding me info.

Happy Halloween!

Frenchie (original poster)

#13: Post by Frenchie (original poster) »

to Eric,

I dispensed about 600ml/min