Astoria Argenta - advice for testing, buying pump

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MilesM

#1: Post by MilesM »

I bought an Astoria Argenta SAE2 from eBay. I think I got a good deal ($500 + shipping), but it was terribly dirty / full of scale. I have so far completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the machine and I'm finally getting to the point where I can actually see if it works... I have to get some basic replacement parts (portafilter gaskets, screeens, sight glass grommets, steam valve kits) but I don't yet know if there is anything major that I'll have to replace. Is there a particular sequence that I should follow to test components as I try to fire this thing up?

The machine didn't come with a pump, so I was wondering what people would recommend (my forays into the FAQs have left me more wary that I'll buy the wrong thing. Accumulator? Flow regulator? Brand / model?)

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks,

Miles

p.s.: if anyone knows where I can get a left side panel for one of these machines, it would be appreciated.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

I would start by trying to obtain the parts/service/operating manual(s) for this machine. A good source might be these guys as I believe they are the importer. There may very well be a Canadian importer also.
http://www.espressobrewer.com/national.phtml
Measure the resistance of the heating element - should be around 12-13 ohms. This machine may very well have a two position power switch such that you can leave the heating element off as the boiler fills and you begin looking for leaks. I would make use of that feature or create it myself by electrically disconnecting the element. Be a little cautious as 220V bites a little rougher than 120V but both can be deadly.
That machine may also have been equipped with a water cooled pump motor - pics of the machine's interior would be helpful.

A lot of sponsors for this site may also carry parts and/or be knowledgeable re the proper motor-pump to be fitted to that machine - in particular www.espressoparts.com
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Paul

#3: Post by Paul »

addendum to erics advice:

argenta (like many astoria) use external pumps. Run-of-the-mill, not watercooled like their wega cousins. I think your machine will only have a 1 on position, not 1 and 2. These are typically found on machines that can be converted to gas (of which the argenta cannot).

I hope you had better luck with the paint job than mine. My argenta was factory finished in kinda a rag-rolled fluro spatter! Blind monkey's were on the paint line that day I tells ya.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

MilesM (original poster)

#4: Post by MilesM (original poster) »

I thought I would put up a few images and show where I started and where I've got to with my restoration/rebuild project:

Here's my inspiration - the phoenix! (pulled from my europiccola - which now has a burnt out element :( )

Here's what I started with - looks not too bad on the outside:

Missing the left side panel:

Not quite so nice under the cup warmer:

A little messy on the boiler:

Some leakage at the HX's

CMA special rust:

The groups were totally gross and plugged. I don't know how they managed to push water through those screens:

What is this "on" switch for?

Slowly coming apart...

The inside of the HX was totally gummed up too:

The element is newer than the machine - there was less corrosion on the outside part as well:

The inside of the boiler is rather... black:

The groupheads were both rather gross:

Acid bath then rinse everything. This is a nice big chunk of iron that was deposited in the bottom of the boiler. The boiler took some extra "attention" :roll:

Repainted frame and things starting to go back together:

I have since bought a parts machine for $150 which included a left side panel and a pump motor. I bought a new pump from the local espresso repair shop where the parts machine had been abandoned.

I now have the machine installed and hooked up to a bottle and flo-jet for water supply (the water is really bad where I am right now). For testing purposes I have the drain going into a big jug, but there is a drain not far away that I'll route to in the future.

My first tests helped find a few leaks - note to all - tighten the bolts on the HX's before putting water into your machine :oops: Minor leaks at some of the fittings were fixed easily with some teflon tape. My auto-fill valve leaks a bit though, so I'll have to replace thay from the other machine.

Right now, the pump works and the control pads seem to do what they are supposed to (yay!) but I have no heat. I posted specific questions about that in another thread.

More photos later.

Miles

Psyd

#5: Post by Psyd »

FWIW, my Argenta has an internal pump and motor. It's and SAE 2 RG (raised groups, same as the reg'lar ole SAE except designed to accommodate a twenty ounce cup directly under the group) and looks almost identical, other then height and colour, to your images.
These kinds of posts make me glad that mine hadn't survived the commercial world long enough to suffer any serious abuse, and, other than a bad braze from the factory, I've had only regular maintenance to keep mine in pristine condition. Great machines if you take care of them!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

rsosa

#6: Post by rsosa »

Im on the same route for a restoration for an Argenta JUN. May you share the acid bath formula?

Bests!

Rodrigo