No water from Volante - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
edwa (original poster)

#31: Post by edwa (original poster) »

Ahhhhh mine was between the timer and the machine.

shadowfax

#32: Post by shadowfax »

Oh, I misread you. Sorry. I don't think it makes a difference... at all. The switching of the timer is going to have a minimal impact on the "aging" of the surge suppressor vs. the boiler cycling of the machine (as I understand things). If anything, I would expect your configuration is preferable, but, again, probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. 2 years might be pushing it on the age of these things. I kind of suspected they'd only last a year or so. Who knows, it might be even less than that!

Maybe the best thing to do would be to rewire one's machine so that the control stuff (Gicar box, pump, etc...) is powered separately from the heating element. That way you can surge suppress the important stuff safely, without having the heating element slowly frying your surge suppressor.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
edwa (original poster)

#33: Post by edwa (original poster) »

This might be interesting
http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/M2A20.aspx

edwa (original poster)

#34: Post by edwa (original poster) »

2 fried relays, one inside the Gicar and the other before the theromstat. 275 smackeroos to repair. Ouch, but there was no way I would have found this out myself - you pay for knowledge. AND I didn't have to spend over $50 each way for shipping and I got it back in 2 days. It wouldn't have even made it more than half way to the east coast by now so I can live with the expense. But I'm not happy about relays that fry after 2 years.

I can't help but ask if they would have lasted longer if the boiler had been insulated.

edwa (original poster)

#35: Post by edwa (original poster) »

Here is the non Gicar relay that fried. Just a footnote to anyone who passes this way. When I poked around with the Multimeter I noticed some black powdery spots (maybe 3) on a wire and near where the wires went in. At the time I wondered if it was small spots of mold but didn't know any better - it certainly didn't look scorched.

JohnPark

#36: Post by JohnPark »

Hey Ed, I think it's my turn to have Volante problems. I descaled it for the first time yesterday. Lots of satisfying blue-green water came out. Now I can't seem to get it up to temperature. The boiler is hot, but no steam, no hot water from the water wand. No steam pressure at all.

applecello

#37: Post by applecello »

Any resolution on problems after cleaning? I know this is an older thread, but its always good to hear about how problems get resolved in case others run into anything similar.

Thanks!

Patrick