What Gaggia is this?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
atjong

#1: Post by atjong »

What Gaggia is this? I bought this used machine certain that it was a Gaggia Classic but there are a couple of things that make me wonder if I'm wrong:
  • Is has a polished chrome exterior unlike the regular Classics that have a brushed stainless steel exterior. I wasn't able to find any pictures of a chrome Classic on the internet.
  • Is has the old Gaggia logo with the red coffee can and the blue grinder.

Most other parts are typical for a Classic: ULKA pump, 3-way solenoid, OPV, steam knob, steam wand, switches, drip tray, water reservoir, refilling funnel.

The only picture I've found that has this same logo is a Gaggia Selecta. But I was told the Selecta has no 3-way solenoid.

PS: The pump was manufactured in 1994 :shock: and the machine has a fixed power cord.

wookie

#2: Post by wookie »

I'm not a Gaggia expert, but it just looks like an older Gaggia Classic. The Gaggia Classic instruction manual here (partsguru.com), shows the Classic with the old blue/red logo.

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

I hate to state the obvious, but the name of your machine is staring you in the face. It's an older model Classic, badged the "classic coffee"

Here's a link to a picture similar to your Classic with very little info, http://www.coffeefix.com.au/coffeemachines.html
LMWDP #670

geoffbeier

#4: Post by geoffbeier »

That looks exactly like my old Classic, which, as near as I can figure based on dates stamped on some of the parts, was manufactured circa 1993. I think that finish was common on some of the older models. There's also one from approximately the same timeframe with a gold-colored finish.

atjong (original poster)

#5: Post by atjong (original poster) »

wookie wrote:The Gaggia Classic instruction manual here (partsguru.com), shows the Classic with the old blue/red logo.
The logo is right but the name differs and the power cord is detachable unlike mine. Also the portafilter is much nicer than my old bulky one ;-).
Spitz.me wrote:I hate to state the obvious, but the name of your machine is staring you in the face. It's an older model Classic, badged the "classic coffee"

Here's a link to a picture similar to your Classic with very little info, http://www.coffeefix.com.au/coffeemachines.html
That's the regular stainless steel Classic, not the chrome one. It has the red/blue logo though. I think you might be right that mine is an older model Classic. Typical though that I can't find info about older models.
geoffbeier wrote:There's also one from approximately the same timeframe with a gold-colored finish.
Whooo nice! I don't believe it though because even the plastic steam wand, logo and drip tray grill and reflection on the bottom of the switches are 'gold plated' ;-).

Searching for "Classic Coffee" just now I did manage to find some more pictures of this shiny machine:

(1) The website rambles on about it being gold plated but looking at the portafilter it's just the picture's white balance that is off. It has a different finish though than the recent Classics.

(2) These two: