Breville Cafe Roma ESP8XL - low brew temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rockbobmel

#1: Post by rockbobmel »

Newbie here. I know, it's not a "real" machine, but it started out okay and then after 6 mos, the water temp is about 160'. It goes from black to light without almost no crema any more.

I have been thinking about a better machine, but it is a sea to swim through. Too much information for me to digest.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bob M.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Bob,

Welcome to HB!

I had the 800 and battled with low brew temps from day one. In general, thermoblock machines are poor performers when it comes to maintaining desired brew temps. Some people have developed workarounds to deal with it - setting the machine to steam for a short amount of time to have a head start before running water through to get a higher brew temp is one that comes to mind.

If your machine did perform satisfactorily to you at one time, might I ask how long it's been since you descaled? Also, are you using good quality water to prevent scale? Seems like a descaling will not hurt and may do wonders to help get your machine back to normal.

If you are using tap water, even if using a Brita filter (or the like), you most likely have a bit of scale. Any citric acid will work to descale your machine. On my Breville I used a product called Dip-It and just added it to the reservoir, running an entire reservoir through the machine over the course of about 4 hours. I then flushed it with plain water.

Good luck!
Merle

Advertisement
rockbobmel (original poster)

#3: Post by rockbobmel (original poster) »

Thanks,

I have some liquid dip-it and started the descaling. I tried the steam trick and it helped. I'll post results.
BTW, I have been using a brita filter for all my water, but I am sure some minerals are getting through.

I may eventually get a better machine. I have to do some more research. I have been watching "SeattleCoffeeGear" posts on youtube. Of course, the machines I am attracted to are "pricey"!