Brasilia Cappuccino

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jerbear

#1: Post by jerbear »

Was using a starbucks barista but outgrew and basically burned it out. Found a used Brasilia Cappuccino machine locally for 100 bucks. Judging by the cloth wrapped wiring on the inside (looks a lot like my 60's motoguzzi) this thing must be at least 25 or 30 years old, maybe more.

Searched the forums here and found no info on it, wondering if anyone knows anything? It is a single head, single boiler, the machine weighs about 50 pounds. Works but seems like it needs some serious internal cleaning, lots of oil buildup on the screen (is that the right term?), looks like a 3 way valve, there is a big tube that comes down off the back of the head, so I guess I can back flush?

thanks for any help...

phillip canuck

#2: Post by phillip canuck »

Welcome to HB. Do you have any photos that you could post? You have probably already found this, but from my quick search, here is a manual and some other information (perhaps not your model exactly). As it is, if it's a commercial machine - or close to it, then parts can likely be found.

http://www.brasilia-coffee.co.uk/roma-cappuccino.html

-phillip

jerbear (original poster)

#3: Post by jerbear (original poster) »

Thanks Phillip
here are a few photos. Switched on last night, took a long time to heat up, when it did, produced about 1.5 kg on the dial and then pressure valve blew off, so seems ok there? Steam wand works, and water flows out of head, but not robust there, guessing it really needs a cleaning. Surprised it won't pump out the brew head until it is fully hot, maybe this is a very novice observation, but the Saeco machine will pump out the brew head as soon as it is switched on.
jerry

Espin

#4: Post by Espin »

jerbear wrote:Judging by the cloth wrapped wiring on the inside (looks a lot like my 60's motoguzzi) this thing must be at least 25 or 30 years old, maybe more.
While your age guess may be correct, cloth wrap isn't uncommon in high-temperature applications.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Switched on last night, took a long time to heat up, when it did, produced about 1.5 kg on the dial and then pressure valve blew off, so seems ok there?
A very reasonable warm-up time for machines in this class would be 45 minutes. An hour would be better.
Your 1.5 kg/cm2 is approximately 1.5 bar which is waaay too high. Certainly too high for the safety valve(?) and that's NOT OK. Try lowering the pressure to a maximum of 1.10 to 1.15 kg/cm2 via the pstat adjustment.
Surprised it won't pump out the brew head until it is fully hot . . .
Something is definitely amiss. Measure the flow you get in, say, 30 seconds - both cold and then hot.
I believe it may be time to break out the wrenches. :) Brasilia has a USA office - http://www.brasiliausa.com/ and if you provide them the serial number, they MAY be able to help with parts and operation manuals.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jerbear (original poster)

#6: Post by jerbear (original poster) »

got the pressure on this machine adjusted down to about 1.2, took off the brew head (at least the last part that looks like a stainless steel puck) and cleaned it all out, also backflushed. The 3 way valve is working fine, but I get a really wet soggy puck, actually no puck, just slop in the portafilter.

any suggestions? i have tried different grinds, different presssure in tamping etc. but still a wet sloppy mess.........

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

jerbear wrote:...I get a really wet soggy puck, actually no puck, just slop in the portafilter.
How's the espresso? If a wet puck offends, add more coffee. For more details, see Wet puck?
Dan Kehn