Francis Francis X5 overheats

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kamali

#1: Post by kamali »

First of all, I am new to this forum. I have been reading for some time and want to thank everyone for all their knowledge. I am ex-Illy drinker.. thanks to home-barista I am now grinding and pulling shots with fresh roasted coffee.

my question is regarding my Francis Francis X5 machine... from time to time, it will overheat after I steam (sometimes). I am only using fresh water (poland spring). I do descale but not that often. any suggestions...also i have serviced in the past, but if you have a suggestion of a repair shop in New York, I really would appreciate it.

Nick

Heckie

#2: Post by Heckie »

Descaling first makes the most sense to me before doing anything else, i.e. taking apart and replacing parts, etc... Random thought here>>> anyone know if this machine has a 3 way solenoid valve, don't think :?:
Could be the steam thermostat needs to be replaced, that's why it's overheating?
Anyhow as far as Espresso machine repair in NY, here's on oldie but goodie.... Rudy's L & R Espresso Machine Co 464 West 51 Street NY, NY 10019. I don't know their phone # but they don't answer their phone much anyhow :D . They've been around for a while. Don't know if they work on Le FRANCIS FRANCIS but it's worth a shot. Good luck

Advertisement
kamali (original poster)

#3: Post by kamali (original poster) »

thanks a lot Heckie i will give them a call.

Nick

pranav

#4: Post by pranav »

Hi nick,
just wanted to check if you managed to contact them and what they said. I have the same problem with my machine and i think the heating element is giving up, and is also producing white milky water, has this ever happened to u?

BeastinBarista

#5: Post by BeastinBarista »

Overheating AFTER steaming could be the result of not replenishing the water in the boiler after your steaming session is complete.

Milky colored water could be indicative of the need to descale. Also could be the case if descaling was done, but not enough water was flushed through the system afterwards.

pranav

#6: Post by pranav »

I have descaled twice and flushed the system multiple times, the water starts getting milky when i let the pump run for about 25 or 30 seconds, and if i let the water sit in the cup, it turns clear again. so im not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

Milky water that turns clear in a short while usually means it has a lot of air in it. Careful observation in a clear container should show the bottom getting clear first as the bubbles rise to the top.

Advertisement
pranav

#8: Post by pranav »

I have been observing it through a clear cup, and that is what has been happening. I read that it could be the heating element that might be leaking in some chemical that its coated with, sorry im not too sure about what exactly it is... It seems to be dripping white after running the pump for a while into the cup and then goes away when it cools down a bit..so im hoping it is the air, would it be that?