Vibiemme Domobar Super won't heat to brew temperature - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

Jeff -

There is something amiss with your machine and, I suspect, the two year hibernation has something to do with it. Your adjustments to the pstat to try and compensate for this malady are leading to a place you do not want to be in.

So, rather than brewing espresso, let's try to adjust the machine to a reasonable starting point and then, perhaps solve the temperature problem. Start with the OPV - this can be done with the power switch in the "I" position:

Adjust the screw (in your case CCW) such that the brew pressure gage reads 9.0 to 9.5 bar while pumping against a blind filter. If the screw does not turn easily, the OPV should be disassembled (in place) and cleaned/lubricated as Randy previously suggested.

Now let's go to the pstat - the power switch needs to be in the "II" position and the machine should be warmed up for about 45-60 minutes.

It has been a long time since I have operated a Vibiemme but I believe that turning the adjustment screw clockwise will decrease the boiler pressure. You will want to adjust it such that the maximum reading on your boiler pressure gage is 1.20 bar. For your 7000 foot altitude, this is very nearly equivalent to a sea level machine at 1.00 bar. The grouphead thermometer should read around 204-205 after about 30 minutes at this pressure range.

At a setting of 1.20 bar max, the heating element should "kick in" at a pressure of ~ 1.05 bar and, of course, "kick out" at a pressure of 1.20 bar.

After these adjustments have been made (and the time periods for adjustments allowed) and your thermometer still reads in the vicinity of 192, it is, unfortunately, time to break out the wrenches.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com