Max water pressure for plumbed in espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
javacrazed

#1: Post by javacrazed »

I am in the process of plumbing my Rocket Cellini and was wondering if there is a max water pressure I should be aware of. I believe my house pressure is around 110ppsi. Can"t seem to locate any guidelines for installation. Any help would be appreciated.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

2.0 to 2.5 bar as measured by the pressure gage attached to your pressure regulator (which you most certainly need) while flowing some water through an empty portafilter.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

javacrazed (original poster)

#3: Post by javacrazed (original poster) »

Eric, I am going to pick up a pressure gauge from HD in a few, are there gauges that have read outs by BAR you are telling me??

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

No worries, it's easy to convert 2 BAR to PSI.
Dan Kehn

javacrazed (original poster)

#5: Post by javacrazed (original poster) »

Dan, is there actually a pass thru pressure gauge that is sold? One that I just leave on the line? The ones that I have see in the pass are just to read and then remove?

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Not sure what you mean; I put a tee on the line between the pressure regulator and espresso machine for the gauge.
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Most pressure regulators, like this one, - http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... latorvalve have a 1/4" NPT port to which you can attach a pressure gage. Some (most?) inexpensive gages have 1/8" male NPT ends. Be careful here to avoid an extra trip - you need to match up the sizes.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

keepitsimple

#8: Post by keepitsimple »

javacrazed wrote:I am in the process of plumbing my Rocket Cellini and was wondering if there is a max water pressure I should be aware of. I believe my house pressure is around 110ppsi. Can"t seem to locate any guidelines for installation. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi
I'd recommend you inquire of the manufacturer. (They have e-mail contact details on their website).

The reason I suggest this is that pressure ranges differ from one machine to another. For example, mine specifies a range of between 2 and 6 as being required. I run it at 4.

It's probable you're going to need a pressure regulator anyway (and a filter/softener might be on the list too depending on your water supply).

As has been noted earlier, the better pressure regulators (Watts etc.) have a port specifically for a gauge which makes life simpler and less plumbing to do. Gauges are pretty cheap.

Fullsack

#9: Post by Fullsack »

These gauges are directional. Having the dial face you right-side-up isn't important, having inflow to the "in" side and outflow coming out the "out" side is.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Most of the machines I have used have a max input of 4 bar. I measure that as static pressure, no flow. I run 3 bar static on my A3 which dips to around 2 bar with water flow.
Dave Stephens