Help with Expobar Office Control?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ambene

#1: Post by ambene »

Hello everyone, I have been searching for a couple of weeks seeking help or manuals on how to diagnose & repair my (new to me) Expobar Office Control. I love the looks of this machine but after the 3 weeks since I've purchased it, I haven't been able to use it.

When the machine turns on, it buzzes but doesn't draw any water out of the reservoir into the boiler. After a period of time, it stops and all lights blink (as per the manual says - is correct) but a reset of the on/off switch or a force feed of water into the tube which fills the boiler, (both suggestions in other forums) doesn't work.

Could anyone offer a suggestion on other diagnostics? I'm happy to break down the machine, I'm fairly handy and always appreciate learning something new.

Thanks for any guidance!

Heckie

#2: Post by Heckie »

Don't own a Brewtus :cry: But......http://www.chriscoffee.com/service :?:

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

A buzzing pump means it's not getting water or is broken. Check the hoses for kinks or breaks; if that isn't it, you may need to replace the pump.

Brian's idea is good, but all Expobars are sold through Wholelattelove, so you'll need to check with their service department, not Chris Coffee's.
Jim Schulman

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Attached to the grouphead of your machine is a solenoid valve that is APPARENTLY not opening - for potentially a number of reasons:

a. faulty electrical coil
b. stuck valve
c. faulty/disconnected wire

With your fingers on the coil housing, you would feel it energize when you hit one of the brew buttons.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Todd Salzman
Sponsor

#5: Post by Todd Salzman »

Since the the pump goes on as soon as you turn on the power switch, it sounds like the steam boiler is trying to fill. The light flash when the flow meter senses that it is not moving water and it has "timed out". Most likely the pump is noisy and either the fill solenoid valve for the boiler is plugged or malfunctioning or the pump is air locked. The first thing to do is to turn on the power switch and immediately hit the manual brew switch. This will allow you to check the boiler fill solenoid valve. If you have water coming out of the brew group then the pump is fine and the solenoid valve is the issue. If you don't have water coming out then the pump will probably just need to be primed. Locate the water intake tube to the pump and use a turkey baster or something that will allow you to force water into it. To do this turn on the machine and when the pump goes on force the water into the intake tube and then immediately after it takes the water turn off the machine, stick the water line back into the reservoir and then turn it on again. You should now get flow. To check it pinch the water intake tube and if it changes pitch then it is pumping.
If this does not work let me know. We have other tricks we can try.

Check out my blog on on diagnosing pump problems at http://www.wholelattelove.com/profile.c ... ofact=blog, it's at the bottom.
Todd Salzman
Whole Latte Love

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I did not read your initial post as thoroughly as Todd did and I do believe he is on the right track.

HOWEVER, I would now disconnect (and tape over) one of the heating element leads until you get this problem fixed and/or check the level of water in the boiler (should be 2/3 to 3/4 full).
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

danno1

#7: Post by danno1 »

Just bought a used Office control, and had same problem. I removed pump form machine, disassembled and cleaned all parts. Do a google search (Ulka pump repair) Pump works great now. I need help with programming buttons. Tried some instructions I found here now the only button that works is the freeflow. any help would be appreciated.