Anyone know when NS Oscars got Sirai p-stats?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
owenegan

#1: Post by owenegan »

Hello.

I'm looking at a used Oscar in a consignment shop, and am wondering whether it has the commercial Sirai pressurestat in it, or the crappier little guy.

Since it's unlikely the shop will let me at the machine with a screwdriver, I'm wondering if I can know from the manufacturing date. Does anyone have any info about when NS started sticking Sirais in their Oscars?

Thanks for any and all info!

- Owen.

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

I don't have a date answer to give you
but
if someone is buying in person used equipment and cannot even look at it
I'll be personally VERY concern,
would you buy a car or motorcycle
without out looking inside?
infact the seller shouldn't have any problem even to have you try the unit
before giving them money
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Advertisement
owenegan (original poster)

#3: Post by owenegan (original poster) »

Hi Stefano,

thanks for the reply.

The Oscar is at a consignment shop, so I don't have the opportunity to deal with its owner. I am aware of the various things that can be wrong inside, and am factoring that into what I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm going to go have another look at it again today.

- Owen

jlhsupport

#4: Post by jlhsupport »

The Sirai has been on there a number of years, but I don't know the exact date. If you can at least look underneath the unit or pull out the drip tray (the 2 places where the Nuova Simonelli manufacturing label might be located), you can write down the serial number and date of manufacture and call Nuova Simonelli to find out. http://www.nuovadistribution.com/contact.html
Joshua Stack
JL Hufford

owenegan (original poster)

#5: Post by owenegan (original poster) »

Thanks Joshua,

I went one better and got them to let me take off the top cover of the machine. Sadly, it's a pre-Sirai era unit. Now I have to decide if $369 for the machine is a good enough deal or not. I would be needing a non-pod kit (~$55), drip tray cover, and maybe a better p-stat...

I *really* don't need another espresso machines, but I like the idea of a uber-portable HX that doesn't weigh what the ancient Cimbali Junior weighs...

- Owen