Steam boiler auto-fills at inconvenient times

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
davefitz

#1: Post by davefitz »

Hi:
I have a Salvatore One-Black. My auto-fill sometimes engages at inconvenient times: Such as right in the middle of a shot, which drops the brew pressure, or while I'm steaming, which drops the temperature, and thus the steam pressure.

Is this normal for HX machines?

I would think it's possible (and desirable) to have electronics that shut out the auto-fill, during a shot, at least.

I'm considering adding a switch to disengage the auto-fill, but first I want to make sure I don't have a defective unit.

Thanks for any responses, Dave

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The autofill will always engage after you have steamed or otherwise drawn water from the boiler. If it comes on at random times other than that, you have a leaky fitting and need to open the machine and tighten anything that is hissing.

You turn off the autofill by grounding the terminal on the brainbox to which the autofill probe wire is attached. You can get elaborate and make this happen every time the group's three way solenoid is energized (don't tie it to the just the pump, otherwise the boiler will never refill), and with greater difficulty, every time the steam valve is opened.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

What you describe sounds normal; a simple workaround is to draw some water to force the auto-fill to kick in after steaming and before shutting off for the day.
Dan Kehn

davefitz (original poster)

#4: Post by davefitz (original poster) »

Yeah, I wish it was that simple. Problem is, (I mentioned this in another post) my hot water line is attached to the boiler at a position above the heating element, apparently to protect me from drawing water out and exposing the element. So, when I draw water, it's mostly steam, and it usually doesn't kick in the auto-fill. I guess I could let it run steam until something happens.

The auto-fill sensor seems quirky on my machine. It ALWAYS kicks in when I first turn on the machine, then usually once or twice during my morning session (two lattes). Sometimes, however, I can run the whole session without a fill. I'm not sure why: condensation on the sensor??

I've tried a few times to use the hot water wand to get the auto-fill to kick in, but it's just too high on the boiler to get any appreciable water. I'm glad I don't need to use the machine for hot water, or I'd be pretty pissed at Salvatore. I guess I'm a little pissed anyway, since I can't use the wand to kick in the fill. I also would like to occasionally draw water out, just to refresh the boiler water. No dice.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

davefitz wrote:I can't use the wand to kick in the fill. I also would like to occasionally draw water out, just to refresh the boiler water. No dice.
Sounds like the water level sensor is too low. I recommend calling Salvatore for confirmation.
Dan Kehn

davefitz (original poster)

#6: Post by davefitz (original poster) replying to HB »

Aye, and there lies the rub. The steam coming out is already a little wet. I let it run for a while to dry out, and just hope the auto-fill doesn't kick in. I am left with the dilemma of raising the water level, = a little better hot water wand performance, but wetter steam, or lowering the water level,= better steam, but poor hot water. i.e.: a no-win situation.

A hot water pipe attached low in the boiler would allow for the best of both worlds, but then someone who let the reservoir run dry could expose the element.

I am awaiting a response from Wendy at Salvatore, but I have not had much luck with getting help there.

Question: If I disconnect the wire that is connected to the water level sensor, would that disable the fill pump, or turn it on?

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

davefitz wrote: Question: If I disconnect the wire that is connected to the water level sensor, would that disable the fill pump, or turn it on?
On. The sensor is grounded though the water, which disables the pump. When the fill sensor is above the set water level, it runs the pump.

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

The autofill circuitry in our machines is a lot more complicated than one (the mechanically inclined) would think. Sure, when the probe is uncovered the circuit (pump & fill valve) is energized and when the probe is covered the circuit is denergized. But the reaction time for these actions depends on the design sensitivity of the circuit, the cleanliness of the probe, and the conductivity of the water. As a point of interest, the GS3 circuitry can be adjusted as was explained by Bill Crossland here: La Marzocco GS3 Refill Tank Malfunction .

I would note the existing position of the probe and then remove it and clean the tip area. Depending on your elevation situation in SLC, you might also increase the boiler pressure a bit to put you on par with machines at sea level.

Yes, you could install a switch that would defeat the autofill circuit during steaming - here's one example that is pretty sophiscated - accomplished by a friend in Colorado on his Vetrano.

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

mhoy

#9: Post by mhoy »

Sounds like Eric is on the right track with the level sensor. Water should come out the hot water line. :? It should be simple enough to raise the sensor a bit. I wouldn't draw steam until it kicks in, mineral build up, etc. Work on getting this fixed and then a simple flush will solve your problem.

Shutting off auto-fill could inadvertently cause you to expose the heating element to air and burn out if you ever forgot to flip the switch back. I'm guessing this is why they don't build in an auto-switch off during a pull (which would be simple enough to build into a machine).

Mark

RegulatorJohnson

#10: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

i am in SLC also I would love to come over and help. i sent a PM to you. we can figure out a workflow for you.

Jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA