Elektra Semiautomatica Boiler Valve?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jayfedds

#1: Post by jayfedds »

Hi there! I'm new to this forum, and new to Elektra machines! I have just received my Semiautomatica in the mail and I booted 'er up according to the recommendations of this site and the book ( I bought it on account of the review here actually). The problem I am having starts as the machine heats up (boiler 3/4 full). There is a pressure release valve on the top of the boiler that lets out all of the pressure (in a stream of steam) so no pressure actually builds. Am I doing something wrong? I have this wonderful machine and I am pulling my hair out cause I can't use it!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'll guess that the vacuum breaker valve is stuck open (it happened to mine once).

It's difficult to see, but get a flashlight and butter knife. Looking from the front of the machine, shine the light from the side and peek into the crack separating the bowl and top of the boiler. There are two valves underneath the bowl, one solid brass, the other steel with a brass pin near the back of the machine. The center brass one is the pressure release valve; it opens if the boiler exceeds ~2.0 bar should the pressurestat stick in the "on" position. The steel valve with the brass pin is the vacuum breaker; it's suppose to open when the boiler depressurizes and close when it reaches ~0.2 bar. If it sticks, the boiler will continue to heat with steam sputtering out. If that's the problem, tap the brass pin with a butter knife to unstick it.
Dan Kehn

jayfedds (original poster)

#3: Post by jayfedds (original poster) »

Thanks so much! It is the vacuum breaker that was sputtering. You have absolutely made my day! I did exactly what you mentioned and it works now! I did try to search but not knowing the names of the parts made it difficult. Thanks again!

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Maybe the site motto should be changed to "Saving the espresso Internet, one person at a time." :lol: Seriously, it was a lucky guess; glad you're up and running.
Dan Kehn