Adding a shot timer to my espresso machine - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CafSuperCharged

#31: Post by CafSuperCharged »

Not sure Bert K responds to my post, but I thought it would be obvious to people in this discussion that the pump (motor) needs to be switched, not the entire machine.

Completely off topic [re. Bert K on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 pm]: Google Chrome assumes I am writing English, not Dutch, but I am not sure how come.
Might have to do with WinXPpro being English or Chrome download English version, etc. Or even language setting in WinXP language bar.

Regards
Peter

akallio

#32: Post by akallio »

Bert K wrote: Furthermore I just learned that volumetric dosing is really volumetric, it counts the amount of water flowing through the brewhead. That is a much better method than a simple timer.
In a high volume cafe, maybe yes. For a serious home barista, probably not. If your grind settings etc. are correct, both methods produce the desired amount of espresso. If not, then volumetric dosing produces incorrectly extracted cup, whereas timed dosing probably produces reasonably extracted one - just a bit shorter or longer. Of course in the latter case the shot might be too long for the cup...