Water only at 180 degrees @ 1.5 bar, is this a problem?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gixxer

#1: Post by Gixxer »

Hi all,

I've got a suspected problem with the water temperature being only 180 degrees @ 1.5 bars when when I measure it with a digital themometer with a spend coffee puck in the PF and a styrofoam cup. I took alot of readings and all where 180 deg. I pull the shot (9 bars pump pressure) just after the boiler shuts off @ 1.5 bars. I have a Nuova Simonella Beach (HX machine). What else can I check? Is there something I should replace? I am getting good steam from the steam wand.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

It sounds like you are measuring the coffee temperature after it exits the portafilter, pours through the air, and then into a cup. This is a highly inaccurate method.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

If you cannot measure shot temperatures with a specialized PF, like the Scace device or Schomer style baskets, then you can insert a thermocouple into the spout of the portafilter and measure the temperature as the coffee exits the basket while you are making a shot.

It should get up to 85C (185F) within five seconds and up to 90C (194F) by the end of the shot. This is a rough measure which confirms your water temperature entering the coffee is inside the required 90C and 95C. The method is not usable for anything more accurate than that, but it will test whether machine is in the right temperature ballpark or not.
Jim Schulman

DJR

#4: Post by DJR »

How does it taste? If it tends towards sour, it probably isn't hot enough.

dan