Turning a pressure cooker into a dedicated milk steamer on demand - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
orwa (original poster)

#11: Post by orwa (original poster) »

Haha, I like the way you talk.

The rationale behind the invention is the following: Much of the complexity of espresso machines come from the integration of the steaming function, so by removing this function you are able to have an espresso machine that is basically a kettle with a brewing group welded into it (something similar to the La Peppina or the Arrarex Caravel). This is also exemplified by devices such as the TWIST which also shows that an espresso-only device can be compact and simple. Therefore, obtaining the steaming function through existing devices/appliances (i.e. a pressure cooker) is half way towards having an espresso machine functionality through existing devices/appliances. Having said that, I continuously think of what can substitute an espresso brewing group, or the easiest way to make one -possibly using a locking mechanism other than the one customarily used in semi-automatic machines. So, in a sense, you may think of this effort as half way through commodifying the espresso machine (making it a commodity product). I feel that espresso machines are more expensive than they should (which is, obviously, not an objective statement).

One interesting aspect of this invention also is that it needs any heat source to operate, not necessarily electricity. Therefore, pairing it with an espresso-only device allows us to obtain a latte in a place where electricity is absent (I can think of such a cool place in my home country, it is a resort spot where they use butane-powered refrigerators).