Irregular, wet steam - HX commercial espresso machine [solved]

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sultanoswing

#1: Post by sultanoswing »

Long time no post, but a search has failed to provide a handy guide to my problem.

A couple of days ago, my Wega Airy 1 group commercial HX (see pic here: Post a pic of your home espresso setup...) started steaming differently.

I have the machine come on via timer each morning, about 40 minutes before working it. Still brews espresso shots just fine, and the brew pressure and temperature appear OK, but the steam comes in bursts rather than constantly - in about 1 second pulses - count: one-thousand-ONE-one-thousand-TWO etc. with the steam coming stronger on each capitalised number. The steam also seems 'wetter' than it should be.

The steaming tip is clear of blockages, but I thought I'd check here before pulling things apart indiscriminately.

What things to check to help diagnose this?
What does it sound like to you wise people?

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Wet steam = boiler water level too high. My guess is that scale has built up on the water level sensor probe, resulting in a progressively higher water level.
Dan Kehn

karl_a_hall

#3: Post by karl_a_hall »

I had the same problem as the OP and the post by HB nailed it on the head, even the pulsing issue.

sultanoswing (original poster)

#4: Post by sultanoswing (original poster) »

Yup - that was indeed the problem.

Pulled the water level probe, descaled it (with automotive HCl & phosphoric acid mix, then gave it a light sanding) and the boiler fill is nice and responsive again.

Dry, consistent steaming goodness has returned!

Thanks.