Group gaskets install driving me NUTS

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DolceVitaBaby

#1: Post by DolceVitaBaby »

Hi, I install a LOT of group gaskets and have YET to find an effective way to pound them in there because rarely do they just slide in as gracefully as the act of male-female penetration. If only it were that easily. Lately with the cup shower screens like on the gradisca I have been running into the problem where I pound them in with a bolt head get them seated as best as possible, and then attempt to use the portafilter to even out any remaining unseated bulging areas but this IS NOT WORKING. I have had to side-shove a tiny screwdriver in some bulging areas in combination with screwdriver pressure from above to finally SEAT the little buggers in the groove and it is some massive neck strain, let me tell you....anybody have a better way? Like how about a hydraulic approach, now THIS needs some attention!

coffee.me

#2: Post by coffee.me »

DolceVitaBaby wrote:...because rarely do they just slide in as gracefully as the act of male-female penetration. If only it were that easily.
Lubrication is key for "penetration", some Dow 111 makes it slide a lot easier.

dsc

#3: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

Dow111 will also make it slide and rotate quite easily within the ridge which means your PF might be prone to undoing itself during extractions. I think Mark (mhoy) had this problem when he was refurbishing his Elektra.

Regards,
dsc.

coffee.me

#4: Post by coffee.me »

Hmmm, good point I guess. I use softer gaskets and never had such a thing happen with my S26.