Vibration noise reduction for Vibiemme Domobar Super

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Randy G.

#1: Post by Randy G. »

OK... so I have documented the various applications of Velcro to isolate panels from other panels, and even applied rubber bands around the gauges behind the bezel to isolate them a bit from the front display panel. Don't get me wrong, it is not that noisy at all, but a little here and there has helped make it even quieter. I have isolated what seems to be the one last major source. It is the strainer on the end of the pickup hose in the reservoir which seems to vibrate and rattle inside the reservoir during an extraction. I have a few ideas as to how to shut the thing up. Possibly a stainless steel weight such as a length of thick-walled tubing or even a stainless steel nut or two slid onto the pickup hose before reinstalling the strainer basket would work. A bit of heat shrink or aquarium silicone to hold it on place if necessary. Any other ideas other than filling the strainer with lead shot *1 before I begin?

*1 - yes, that's a joke....
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

Maybe some foam padding on the strainer to kill the rattle?
Lock and load!

Randy G. (original poster)

#3: Post by Randy G. (original poster) replying to Beezer »

I did, indeed consider something like that. Some sort of silicone doughnut or tire around each end of the strainer, but some closed-cell foam that is submersible and food safe might work. Thanks!

I also considered looking for an inline filter that could be located externally...

Beezer

#4: Post by Beezer »

Of course, foam might make the hose too buoyant, and you don't want the hose to float to the surface and suck in air. So you would probably still need a weight to keep it negatively buoyant.
Lock and load!

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Randy G. wrote:I have isolated what seems to be the one last major source. It is the strainer on the end of the pickup hose in the reservoir which seems to vibrate and rattle inside the reservoir during an extraction.
Or remove the strainer and cut a V groove in the intake hose (similar to Rancilio Silvia et al).
Dan Kehn

Randy G. (original poster)

#6: Post by Randy G. (original poster) replying to HB »

Another thought that had occurred to me.. but with three cats and two dogs in the house, and the static that I deal with, loose fur is everywhere. I pour from a plastic pitcher which exacerbates the problem, and after a time I clean out the reservoir and find a few stray furs in there. I also find a few stray carbon particles from the Brita pitcher, so I do want to maintain a filter on the intake hose, thus my comment about an inline filter located outside of the reservoir.