La Marzocco GS3 Refill Tank Malfunction - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
robertdi8 (original poster)

#11: Post by robertdi8 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply Billc.,

I really have no idea what a variable frequency drive is.....so I don't think I have one of those. I certainly haven't changed anything on my setup and I believe my grinder (Macap M7K) is not variable frequency.

Thanks though for the input Bill, this forum is amazing for the quality of help you can receive :P .

As you suggested, I have adjusted the fill probe sensitivity to high and so far, so good. Would it be worth trying to separate the ground on the fill probe from the machine ground??? If yes, how difficult might that be??

Thanks everyone,
Dave.

shadowfax

#12: Post by shadowfax »

Billc wrote:One fix is to adjust the sensitivity of the fill probe to HIGH (see programming guide). This will actually filter out some of the noise through the electronics and most likely get you up and running.
Bill, I have a question about this probe sensitivity. In the programming guide it says you can adjust it based on the "hardness of your water," but doesn't really go into any detail about on what basis you change it. What exactly does this parameter adjust with respect to boiler auto-filling? Namely, why shouldn't everyone's sensitivity be set to HIGH?
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
Billc

#13: Post by Billc »

Unless you are single you should never set your sensitivity to high.
The sensitivity of the probe can be changed via software. When you change the setting it tells the cpu to compare the probe reference with respect to 3 different circuits (low, med high). Each of these circuits has some differences (resistors and capacitors) that have some different effects of filtering noise. Additionally at each increase in setting a bit more current is allow to flow in the different circuits. This causes a bit more heat in the cpu but not enough to be concerned about. Also at the higher settings the probe can react to boiling water (a condition that happens most times the steam valve is opened).

Other than this is really does not matter.

In case you are wondering, a frequency drive is a device that can adjust the speed of a motor. The motor is a 3 phase motor that is hooked to the frequency drive. The frequency drive has 3 transistors (usually triacs) that switch in sequential order at the speed of the frequency selected (i.e. 10 Hz, 60Hz, 500Hz etc.). The higher the frequency the faster the motor goes.