Brugnetti Simona Top: The red-headed stepchild of espresso makers?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Wes

#1: Post by Wes »

Hello... I bought a lightly used Brugnetti Simona "Top" a couple of years ago. The other day it stopped heating up. The lights work, the pump works, but no heat. The pressure gauge reads "0". This happened suddenly.

A rep at the Italy factory responded to my e-mail and says it's likely the heater element or the pressurestat.

How do I troubleshoot these components, and where can I get replacements for the broken ones?

Any help would be much appreciated. Wes.
Until my espresso maker is fixed I am drinking mint tea. HELP ME!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Blown heating element is easy. You check it with an ohm meter. Just put one lead on each lug of the heating element. If you get no ohm's, you have a blown element.
Dave Stephens

Paul

#3: Post by Paul »

g'day wes

fwiw, an old brugnetti i worked on used a 1 1/4" element. These are used in all sorts of things, spa pools etc and are cheap and easy to find. so, replacement is no big deal.

[edit; sorry, upon checking I see that brugnetti also use proprietary elements too now. this negates the above info]
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

Worldman

#4: Post by Worldman »

Googling Brugnetti Simona 'Top' led me to their website from which one can glean the following (sic):
Manufactured through a very accurate artisan workmanship, availing itself of the same industrial technologies and components used for professional espresso coffee machines. The materials used (brass,copper, stainless steel) and the multi decennal experience of "Brugnetti Co." guarantee the solidity and the long last.
Now this is some information you can use! In fairness to them, my Italian would be even more guttural than their English.

There is a chap who rebuilt a Brugnetti Simona (though not a "Top") and his story is right here on HB: The Brugnetti Simona Project. Perhaps he can help/advise you.

[edit] Aha! Here is the link for Brugnetti USA: http://www.brugnettiusa.com/installation.php. They are in Roswell, GA and can be reached at 678-762-9533.

Good luck!

Len
Len's Espresso Blend