ECM Giotto Problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
KarlS

#1: Post by KarlS »

Hi, I have looked through the website but have been unable to find an answer to my problem - My machine when cold will and switched on will start to heat and will pass water ... after maybe 5 minutes it will cut out (stop heating / no water) If I switch off and back on it wont go at all ... if I leave it for 20 odd minutes it will start the same action as before. I have cleaned the water level probe and sensor at the reservoir but this has not made a difference. I do hear the relay click from the gicar box but it looks ok inside to me? The other area I commonly hear about is the pressurestat. I think it definitely needs a look at but I would like to try and have an idea of what the problem is before I potentially spend alot of money for repair.

Machine is ECM Rocket approx 4-5 years old with a gicar box and jaeger pressure stat / Tanked

Thanks alot

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Sounds like a connection opens with heat.
Unplug the machine.
Remove the cover and look for corroded or burned connections.

If you a skilled with a VOM, should be easy to find the problem.
If you don't know what a VOM is, please take it to a repair depot.

Advertisement
KarlS (original poster)

#3: Post by KarlS (original poster) »

I think I will have to bite the bullet and take it in - I was trying to get an idea of the problem and hopefully find a simple solution. Cheers for your help.

KarlS (original poster)

#4: Post by KarlS (original poster) »

Looking again at previous posts it most likely is the Gicar box (control box) - it may be reaching a certain temperature then cuts out... which stops the heating and water - when it has cooled down it will do the same (reach a certain temp then cut out)

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

Usually, the Gicar box controls the water level.
The pressure stat controls the heat.

KarlS (original poster)

#6: Post by KarlS (original poster) »

I am hoping it isn't the water level sensor but I am guessing that if this is faulty it will cut off the heat as well so it doesn't overheat without water?? I am taking it to be looked at in a few days so will (hopefully) find out soon enough - Thanks for your help

cubastreet

#7: Post by cubastreet »

The control boxes are expensive if it is faulty.
Talk to Dave at Atomic, he might be able to do you a reconditioned one for a much better price.

Advertisement
KarlS (original poster)

#8: Post by KarlS (original poster) »

Just a follow up ... if of any interest to anyone?? - The machine had a faulty Gicar box - I took the machine to coffee systems in Onehunga where they only had a control box from a Nuova Simonelli Oscar - I took the punt and it is working like new - Total cost including the labour / new shower screen and seal was $320 NZD - so very happy.

Ozark_61

#9: Post by Ozark_61 »

Huh... cool! It sounded like a pstat to me... with no pressure (before the vacuum breaker sealed off) the pstat was open (closed?) and then when the boiling water shut the breaker and the pressure rose, the pstat was tripping the box somehow. I went through several of the ceme pstats until I bought the jager from Chris' coffee - it's been working for a few years now! (knock on wood!)
LMWDP #570