What are reasonable shipping costs for roasted coffee? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
wildbwilson

#21: Post by wildbwilson »

I recently placed an order with Barefoot and as a returning customer my order was shipped for free. This kind of promotion along with fine tasting coffees keep me coming back. The last time around the coffee made it to my mailing address in 2 days.
I've had coffee shipped from other San Fran area roasters and the cost is always reasonable if ordering 4-5 bags usually under $20

morgant

#22: Post by morgant »

ChiaroScuro wrote:i moved recently. my profile now says "east coast."

my experience is the mirror of yours. UPS takes too long if it's not coming from somewhere close, but priority mail makes it coast-to-coast in 2 days at least 90% of the time.
Heh, apparently I have a very different problem - my last order from Klatch was shipped USPS Priority and took 6 days to get half as far.
LMWDP #276

javatifosi

#23: Post by javatifosi »

Try George Howell's Terroir Coffee Company. I'm in NY and received my latest order in one day.

Fullsack

#24: Post by Fullsack »

You'd think USPS Priority Mail would step it up around the holidays, nope. I ordered the very expensive Anniversary Blend from Stumptown on Sunday, it shipped Monday, Portland to San Francisco, Priority. It's not here 4 days later. I was hoping to serve it on Christmas Day, instead I'll be drinking expensive 8 day old coffee sometime Monday.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Phaelon56 (original poster)

#25: Post by Phaelon56 (original poster) »

UPS and FedEx bump up staffing levels heavily to maintain schedules during the holiday season. USPS... much less so. I think it's easily 2x the normal shipping times but during the rest of the year I find it to be fast, reliable and a great value for shipping weights of 10 lbs or less.

iginfect

#26: Post by iginfect »

sweet maria is reasonable-no choice for me-w/ 20# order. counter culture was reasonable @$3 for the 2# every 2 weeks i did early in the year when i was unable to roast. when they had a special coffee but wanted $5 shipped i passed it by. shipping is one reason i home roast. bought some black pearl at chris today as on site, no shipping.

marvin

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JohnB. »

Priority Mail is always quicker going cross country then it is regionally. It can take 3 days for a coffee order to travel 100 miles from Boston to northeastern CT. by P/M but I get 2 day service most of the time from the west coast. The fewer Postal employees involved the faster it moves. Just got in a 5lb bag from Klatch; roasted & shipped last Thursday & delivered to my door on Monday morning. Received a P/M shipment of baskets from Synesso last week in 2 days.
LMWDP 267

hperry

#28: Post by hperry »

zin1953 wrote: Vivace and, living in the SF Bay area, get my coffee in two days via USPS Priority Mail, the same as you. But any order I place from roasters in the Midwest or farther to the East takes five days to arrive via UPS or FedEx Ground As a result, I tend to only order from roasters on the West Coast unless they use Priority Mail . . .
You have qualified the speed of USPS. From Seattle my Caffe Fresco orders always come on the third day after I order (an order placed Monday gets here Wednesday) if I order in the morning. I suspect that is a combination of Tony's great service and USPS efficiency.
Hal Perry