Powering up a brasilia portofino 3grp espresso machine for the first time

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
markmlm

#1: Post by markmlm »

when powering up the machine for the first time should the manual water fill valve button be pushed in or out?

should the machine power switch be placed in the on position or on the heating element pilot light position...thanks for all your help in advance!! Mark

shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

On a 3 position power switch, it's intended use to let the machine autofill before activating the element. If your machine doesn't have autofill, you will need to fill it manually with the fill switch. Whatever you do, make sure there's enough water in the boiler to cover the element before you try to run it... It can burn out, and if it does you will be spending a decent bit of money to fix it.
Nicholas Lundgaard

markmlm (original poster)

#3: Post by markmlm (original poster) »

ok i have powered up the machine with the manual fill valve pushed in, the machine powers up fine and there is water in the tank the autofill light comes on for a few minutes and then goes off and the error lights begin to blink.....I read that this means there is a problem with the auto fill and to check the water supply turn the machine off and back on and it will reset. i have done this several times with the manual fill valve button pushed both in......and out .... still the error lights come back on after a few minutes.

the top gauge is at 1bar so i believe thats fine and i can pour a shot even with the error lights blinking...any suggestions on how to solve the error light problem? thanks so much......Mark

shadowfax

#4: Post by shadowfax »

I'd strongly recommend contacting the manufacturer to try to acquire a manual or tech support. Some of them are very good about that; I have no real experience with Brasilia. I don't think you'll find a lot of Brasilia expertise on this forum. I could be wrong, but I think your best bet is what I've suggested.
Nicholas Lundgaard

smkymtns

#5: Post by smkymtns »

I highly recommend contacting Rosito Bisani (US importers of Brasilia) at 800-848-4444 and just asking them for technical support. You will probably get to talk to Leo. Leo is super friendly and extremely knowledgeable. He helped me work through a couple of issues when I first got my single group Portofino up and running. I have yet to find an actual manual for a Portofino but I have a PDF copies of the Gradisca and America models, but most of the information seems applicable.

joelr

#6: Post by joelr »

I just wrapped up the last leak on my Brasilia Portofino 1grp restoration/deep clean. Hopefully, your machine is like mine, only wider.

When I first got the machine I had symptoms similar to yours. I put the switch into position 1 (everything powered but heater) and was greeted by a very loud 60Hz hum, the "fill light" on and no auto-filling. I pushed the button on the front, the boiler filled and once it reached the fill probe the light turned off and the noise stopped. After tearing it down I discovered the fill solenoid was jammed.

I took the solenoid and brass manifold apart, gave it all a good soak and then put it all back together again. Before mounting it in the machine I plugged the solenoid into the wall through a light switch and 2A fuse. On the first actuation I got the horrible noise again and no clicking. Flipping the switch on an off in quick succession broke something free and the valve started clicking and the noise diminished dramatically. It's been fine ever since (about 2months).

I also reversed engineered the, trivial, wiring harness. The fill light is just in parallel with the 120VAC to the solenoid. When the light is on the solenoid is energized and water should be flowing.

markmlm (original poster)

#7: Post by markmlm (original poster) »

joel, did you push the manual fill button so it was in or out?......thanks for all your help....Mark

oh....also can you tell me where the fill solenoid is located? thanks again

joelr

#8: Post by joelr »

Maybe our machines are different, but, the manual fill button was just a button I pressed. Wasn't in or out.

My solenoid is attached to the big chunk of brass also holding the manual fill button. It's right under the drip tray.