Need help programming Magister ES-100 three group

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
waynerp

#1: Post by waynerp »

Hi One and All, and merry crimbo and all that!

i need some advice on my 2nd hand Magister ES100.
i have had it for a few weeks in my new coffee shop and it is up and running and i have had it serviced.
the only problem is that only the middle group pours the correct shot from the buttons, ie single espresso, large, double etc.
the other outside groups do not pour the correct shot, which is making life somewhat difficult in busy times.
the guy i had service it tells me that the buttons can be programmed, and maybe i should have had him do that when he was servicing it, and i can not really afford to pay him again at the moment.
has anyone any ideas if it can be done and if so how. the manual has no help on this matter.

many thanks

waynerp

CRCasey

#2: Post by CRCasey »

This should get you going.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

waynerp (original poster)

#3: Post by waynerp (original poster) »

wow
excellent
i will try it today and let you know how it goes

many many many thanks
waynerp

#4: Post by waynerp (original poster) »

Hi All
well i gave it a go exactly as described in the instructions with no luck.
i started with the left hand group, ( i have a 3 group) and attempted to programme 3 buttons.
then left it for a minute or so. when i tried the buttons none of them worked, nor the middle or right hand group.
so i then tried to programme the middle group, which when completed work ok, but i still have no function from either the left or right hand groups even after trying to programme them again several times!!
i tried all manner of combinations as it states that if you programme the left hand group it will transfer those settings to the other groups, but this is definitely not working.
i am currently only able to use the middle group on pre programmed dosage, the left and right will only work with the free pour button and hot water.
Any ideas PLEEEASE, it's a nightmare in peak times.
many thanks

CRCasey

#5: Post by CRCasey »

Take a look on your controller board, some have a programming lock out jumper. It will likely be a three pin header with a jumper across two of the three. Since the one seemed to take the programming then I would not suspect this as being the problem.

A flow meter that is not working properly on those groups that will not program are a possible problem. Most flow meters have an led on the top that will pulse if the flow meter is working, check for that.

A clogged flow meter problem can be in the feed pipe inlet, or the vanes themselves can be stuck. In that case you will have to diagnose the heads one at a time. The feed pipes and the flow meter each can be torn down to check where the blockage is.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

#6: Post by waynerp (original poster) »

Cecil. you are a font of barista knowledge.

i did notice a green led on each group when the service chap was doing his thing.
i remember asking him why one of them was flashing and the other 2 were not.
he said he didn't know!! lol.
i have to be honest that all 3 groups do have different flow rates one of which is quite slow, and was hoping that persistant cleaning every day with the black rubber seal in the group head would eventually solve the problem, or am i kidding myself?
i can not be certain of the life this machine has had before it came into my hands but i would really like to get the girl back into top condition.
so is there a way i can solve this problem myself or do i need an expensive engineer?

CRCasey

#7: Post by CRCasey »

Live with the group that works, or plan on doing a tear down and descale it.

If you want to start simple work with the flow meter itself and the feed in and out tubing. Odds are if they are clogged up then a full-monty clean out would be your best bet.

-Cecil

#8: Post by waynerp (original poster) »

OK m8.
i will have a go with that.
many thanks for all your help and advice
wayner