Is old 80s Carimali single group worth turning into a project?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kris

#1: Post by kris »

So...

...on impulse and with a noticeable lack of rational thought I bought an old 80s Carimali 1 Group on a local auction site - it was a bargain (I think - about US$150) and I couldn't resist. However, I am now suffering a significant amount of buyer's remorse, as it is a bit larger, more basic than I was expecting, and the pump is AWOL. It did come with 2 portafilters however and is in pretty OK condition physically (under the grime). I still haven't told the wife, hence all of these photos were taken in the back of my car.

What I am trying to decide (before I confess) is if I should restore/modify this machine - or whether I would be ultimately wasting my time. Up until now I have been quite happy with my saturated group SBDU machine(s) and never considered getting an HX. Still, who dares, etc. I have the mechanical facilities to do all of the work myself, originally being trained in electronics and restoring cars as a hobby.

I also don't know how some of the doodads in the following pictures work, so any help in explaining what they do would be great.

Some photos:

What are A and R positions on the power switch, anyone know?

It seems to have some kind of wacky electric volume control. I have no idea how it works, there is a micro switch in the 'foot' against which you seem to place the cup. I would swear there are not enough wires to do anything much intelligent - there is only one wire going somewhere - and how (or if) it works I would love explained. Close up of the 'foot' below. All the lever on the front of the machine seems to do is raise and lower this foot.

A back. Hmmm, 80s colors...

Yep, the machine is pretty dusty and dirty - not super bad though.

I assume this gauge is the boiler pressure and is set using the pressure stat? It effects the ultimate brew temperature through the HX - is that right? I am a HX nub :lol:

Hidden up where it is almost impossible to see, this is the brew pressure? Usually set by the rotary pump bypass (which I don't have anyway)?

Dodgy wiring, pressure-stat and a leaky boiler.

Yep more old old leaks.

Is this the controller for the boiler autofill?

Grouphead does not seem to be heated, by thermosyphon or electrically - and it seems it is only connected to the boiler by two 3mm thick steel plates... I thought they usually put more effort into heating the brew head than this. Is there anything I can do here in terms of modification? Is it possible to retrofit thermosyphon or an electric heater?

Last photo, a very odd 3 way valve to my eyes.

So, I am seeking opinions as to what I should do with this old girl. Seems like it could be a fun project, but only if it will eventually make decent coffee. I have seen that I could PID in place of the pressure stat etc. I don't understand the volume dispenser, so I don't know what to do there. There is very little (none) info out there on the internet for these Carimali machines, and believe me - I have looked. I guess that is also part of the attraction to me, I have never been one to follow the crowd. Having said that, I have found a very similar model (but with a sexy sexy lever) on a German website http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26rls%3Den That is it. Would you keep the case? Would you rebox it into a smaller package with a PID etc?

Any and all opinions and any information/advice is welcome.

If it does end up being promoted to project status, I will fit a vibe pump and test stuff before going too far/dismantling. I guess the other option would be to part it out - but that would be a shame...

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

hello kris

I thought about buying this for a minute (I have a matching lever model). On first appearance (on TM) I thought it was an old mechanical gr fella. Your pics show me that it is not. Dosing - I bet it was timer based (like many other marques). The timer electronics may or may not still be in there. No matter, you can convert back to a regular semiauto without much effort. Model name is elle, machine is late 70s - early 80s. A shame the pump is missing. Quality of coffee - probably not the best in the world, build quality and design weren't up to much around this time. That said, I think the machine looks cool.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

Paul

#3: Post by Paul »

sorry, rudely, I forgot to address any questions:

0/A/R = off/autofill + pump on/autofill + pump + heat ; use 'A' to fill machine from empty.

gauges - you are correct

autofill - yup

group - I have rebuild other machines with similar, non-thermosyphon designs (eg brugnetti) that seem to work ok. I'd get it going first and take some temp measurements before playing around

3 way sol - std part on an unusual mount.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

kris (original poster)

#4: Post by kris (original poster) »

Thanks Paul. The switch info is much appreciated. Sounds like I can test the machine without having to isolate the heater first, so that is good news.

I am still wondering if I should try and return it, as the lack of a pump is getting close to being a deal breaker - the seller should have stated it was missing in his auction. I think I paid over the odds without the pump. Trouble is, every time I look at it, I want to keep it...

Bit of a dilemma here.

Have you found any local parts suppliers for your lever version? I assume the consumables are similar.

kris (original poster)

#5: Post by kris (original poster) »

Interesting, there is a very similar 2 group version on the Bay for US$2000. Probably only a few years newer. Crazy.

godlyone

#6: Post by godlyone »

kris wrote:Thanks Paul. The switch info is much appreciated. Sounds like I can test the machine without having to isolate the heater first, so that is good news.

I am still wondering if I should try and return it, as the lack of a pump is getting close to being a deal breaker - the seller should have stated it was missing in his auction. I think I paid over the odds without the pump. Trouble is, every time I look at it, I want to keep it...

Bit of a dilemma here.

Have you found any local parts suppliers for your lever version? I assume the consumables are similar.
pick up a motor and pump on ebay, you could probably get both for ~100 or so

Paul

#7: Post by Paul »

value - all of its value to me is really tied up in the fact that it is a crazy old looking thing. Such machines are not really common here in NZ as we didn't have much of an espresso culture in 1980. Personally, I would have gone to $150 for it. Then again, I have old motors and other bits floating around. On our local market, I can't see it being worth more than $500 in restored condition.

parts - easy for this machine. Element is 1 1/4" (as per spa pools etc), solenoids and other electronics are generic.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084