Need help with restoration of espresso machines from craigslist

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
derrith

#1: Post by derrith »

Hello,

I just obtained via craigslist two espresso machines today. I worked in the coffee industry for a few years as a roaster and barista in Pennsylvania and the SF Bay Area. Due to a lack of independent shops in my current town, I'm now working in catering. I've missed the coffee business a lot and started to look around for a machine to put in my home. I was on craigslist today and saw a post up in Sacramento for two free machines, a La San Marco 2 group lever, and a 2 group Conti Xeos for free. Both were listed as not working and obviously missing parts.

As a part time mechanic, I figured for the price I could give it a shot. I'm looking forward to getting one or both up and running and would value input on where in the bay area I can obtain parts and where I should start in terms of getting these machines back to their former glory.

mhoy

#2: Post by mhoy »

Which one is the most complete? How handy are you with tools?

Do you have the power available (likely 220v), water supply and drain?

Better pictures would help.

Mark

karl_a_hall

#3: Post by karl_a_hall »

Welcome to the community Logan! Good score... I too saw those on craigslist.

If you wish to help finance one of your projects by selling the other, I would purchase the lever from you. I already have a commercial pump machine that I restored.

I would encourage you to be sure to buy enough citric acid and take plenty of pictures of the dis-assembly. Espressoparts.com is a good supplier for spare parts as well as some diagrams. But I agree with the last poster, more pics of the machines would help us give you insight.

I have photos on my site of some of the work I did on my machine plus some of the mods I did. http://www.backlot42.com (just click on the Espresso category at the bottom of the first to sort past the personal posts)

Karl

PS: I have been looking for a cheaper lever to restore for a while, so if you are feeling particularly kind, I really would love to help finance your project by taking that off your hands! I will do 'her' justice in your quest to former glory. haha.

EspressoExpress

#4: Post by EspressoExpress »

What? Free machines on Craigslist? How in the world...? How would one go about finding such items on CL?

roger_s

#5: Post by roger_s »

Do a couple of searches on your local Cl: One for espresso machines and one for espresso makers. Save each as RSS feeds and keep an eye on those feeds. Cool stuff shows up from time to time.
What? Free machines on Craigslist? How in the world...? How would one go about finding such items on CL?

doubleOsoul

#6: Post by doubleOsoul »

Darn it!! That's why the fella wasn't answering my emails and phone calls! And he was only 10 minutes away from where I live!
Good luck on the restoration!