Vibiemme Domobar Super - sudden pressure drops / pump noise change during shots - Page 10

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#91: Post by cannonfodder »

FYI, I descaled my Domobar Super for the first time in a year of use (bad Cannonfodder). I also adjusted the OPV up a little to 128psi. Now I get wandering brew pressures. It runs low (say sub 8 bar) when the heater is on, then jumps up to 8-10 bar when the heater goes off. It also pulsates up and down by a couple of bars durning the shot when nothing is going on, however, it runs flat with no portafilter or blank basket for backflushing. I need to take the shell off and pull the OPV apart, I probably have some grit in there causing my problem since it did not happen until after the descale.
Dave Stephens

bdbayer

#92: Post by bdbayer »

FYI, I descaled my Domobar Super for the first time in a year of use (bad Cannonfodder). I also adjusted the OPV up a little to 128psi. Now I get wandering brew pressures. It runs low (say sub 8 bar) when the heater is on, then jumps up to 8-10 bar when the heater goes off. It also pulsates up and down by a couple of bars durning the shot when nothing is going on, however, it runs flat with no portafilter or blank basket for backflushing. I need to take the shell off and pull the OPV apart, I probably have some grit in there causing my problem since it did not happen until after the descale.
Any updates on this? I just ran into a new behavior on mine today and was wondering if I should just try to desacle before posting here on HB for input. My fear is that I will cause the same problems you faced after the descale, and I am not nearly as good taking things apart to fix it if I do.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#93: Post by cannonfodder »

Sorry, forgot about the update. It magically fixed itself. I packed the machine off to a week long cabin trip. When I got there and hook it up, the problem was gone. I would surmise it was a tiny bit of grit in the OPV that dislodged and cleared during the 5 hour drive. No issues since then.
Dave Stephens

Bex (original poster)

#94: Post by Bex (original poster) »

Interestingly, I had the same issue as cannonfodder after descaling my machine. Odd.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#95: Post by cannonfodder »

It has been running like a champ since then, don't know why it acted up for a week.
Dave Stephens

Bex (original poster)

#96: Post by Bex (original poster) »

I thought I should return to this thread to provide the end of the story - in case someone else ever finds themselves in this situation.

The issue I was having continued to manifest. In the summer, it started getting really bad - the bottom would drop out of the pressure on every other shot, accompanied by a very dramatic drop in pump noise (as in, you could barely hear the pump anymore). Jim @ 1st-line spent a lot of time helping me diagnose and we ultimately concluded that the pump was bad. He shipped me a new one, (and even shipped me free parts to replace one I broke during the replacement procedure :oops: ) and everything is running right as rain now. Big thanks to Jim for the support.

1st-line
Sponsor

#97: Post by 1st-line »

Thanks for the opportunity and the business.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

cannonfodder
Team HB

#98: Post by cannonfodder »

I moved to Philly and set my VBM up in my office. My office is a large broom closet with 3 of us and and some seriously overloaded electric. Ever since then when I pull a shot, and the heater kicks in my pressure tanks. I just turn off the heater before I start my shot.
Dave Stephens

mute

#99: Post by mute »

Philly? You should have set it up here in my office in Phoenixville. By office I mean apartment. :)