Thank God for the Caravel! - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
sweaner (original poster)

#21: Post by sweaner (original poster) »

I just use a plug adapter. All this means is that it takes longer to heat, so I start with hot water. It then easily keeps it up to temp. You could buy a step-up converter, but I don't find that necessary.
Scott
LMWDP #248

peacecup

#22: Post by peacecup »

Yes! I forgot the a few parts, mainly the piston seals, are available from orphan. I was thinking more about the heating element, portafilter, etc.

I have a VAM waiting for a portafilter, but haven't found one yet.

What makes them so good? Maybe the basket size? Also, the have a nice seal system to prevent backflow into the kettle during a Fellini pre-infusion. Certainly the open boiler makes temperature management really simple, and this is a major advantage over the Pavoni. Lastly, the group seal arrangement on the Caravel allows it to require less headspace than the Pavoni. I found dosing on the Pavoni difficult because it was easy to overdose and hit the screen. Its almost impossible to do this with the Caravel.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

pavman

#23: Post by pavman »

All good points. I do love the pavoni, but I now have a better understanding and appreciation of the caravel, especially the open boiler, which I may have read about before, but only just now "got". Maybe I'll get to try one, one day.

Thanks!