My kingdom for a pipe

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Fullsack

#1: Post by Fullsack »

The only thing keeping me from having a completely rebuilt 1993 T1 is a nut I cracked while tightening, read over tightened, during the final phase of restoration. Elektra no longer makes this part, Stefano checked when he was in Italy. The nut is 3/8" BSPP. I'm out of moves. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks, Fullsack.

LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Get nut.
Cut the tube.
Replace nut.
Braze sleeve over cut.

It helps to make a jig before cutting to aid alignment on reassembly

Advertisement
Paul

#3: Post by Paul »

I would start from scratch and make a new pipe by silver soldering on new fittings. Vanelis sell 'em. I expect Stefano does too.

Sometimes, the little length of pipe you lose by replacing an end makes reassembly very difficult.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

malachi

#4: Post by malachi »

You might want to contact Espresso Parts - they have huge bins of random old parts.
If that doesn't work - walk by Thomas Cara coffee in North Beach. They might be able to help.
What's in the cup is what matters.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

cafeIKE wrote:Get nut.
Cut the tube.
Replace nut.
Braze sleeve over cut.
Agreed. If you don't want to braze/solder, a $3 compression fitting would do it too.
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Using a tubing cutter, cut the tube in any convenient straight section. The 3/8" BSPP nut is very common in the espresso world - as others have said - Vanelli's, Espresso Parts, etc., etc. I even have them if you run into trouble.

Get a Swagelok union ($5) for that tubing (probably 8 mm), recommend you use nylon ferrules vice the brass ferrules the fitting comes with, and you are all set. The union will extend the effective length by 10.6 mm so you MAY need to take another cut on the tubing depending upon the flexibility of the fitment.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Stuggi

#7: Post by Stuggi »

Go down to any plumbing shop and have them repair it for you. If they don't have the parts, they can usually order them for you, direct you to a guy that has, or you can order them online. They should be able to braze it good enough that you don't have to worry about it. I would do it for you if you weren't so far away. And I probably would have to check what kinds of filler rods one can use on espresso-machines.
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

erics wrote:Using a tubing cutter, cut the tube in any convenient straight section. The 3/8" BSPP nut is very common in the espresso world - as others have said - Vanelli's, Espresso Parts, etc., etc. I even have them if you run into trouble.
That size/thread nut is also used on propane/natural gas appliances/heaters & hydraulic/ pneumatic hoses so it should be available locally from a good service shop.
LMWDP 267

stefano65
Sponsor

#9: Post by stefano65 »

Doug my offer stand send it up to me I will find a way to take care of it
ether from my Junk pile or soldering a new nipple and replacing the nut
unless you can have it brazed locally
yes we have the nuts but the nipples are in couple of diffrent size
that's why it is easier for me to see it
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Fullsack (original poster)

#10: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Thanks Stefano, I'll take you up on that. As much as I'd like to do this myself, I don't want to risk screwing it up.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams